Gibson Brands Forums

Epi. L.P, Prophecy-GX compared to Gibson L.P Studio

FAT BOY

I'm new to this forum. And I recently compared a Epi. L.P. Prophecy-GX with a Gibson L.P. Studio. And was surprised that the Prophecy blew the Studio away.. When I first asked the sales rep. which one he would recommend, he told me the one that has Gibson on it. I played the Prophecy first, and I was very impressed. When I played the Studio I was very dissapointed. Even the sales rep. was surprised, to the the point, where he had to play both guitars as well. And then changed his mind about which one he'd recommend. I was kinda looking forward to buying the Gibson but now I'm having secound thought's. So I thought I'd throw this out on this forum and see what kinda feed back I got. I know the Epi. history quite well and I already own a Shereton II. I also have a Univox L.P. that I've owned for about thirty years and a Gretsch G-5125. You'r comments will be appreciated. Thak you...

I had the same experience myself when buying my LP Prophecy. There wasn't anything in the shop I could afford to try for myself that even came close to the quality of the Prophecy. Really sealed the deal.

Oh brother … this kind of question is ALWAYS a can of worms!

First of all, Ed, welcome to the forum. Lot’s of great guitar knowledge in here and lot’s of opinions just waiting to be shared. I’ll say this: I personally own two of the Prophecy GX models: the LP and the SG and I am VERY happy with both of them.

It’s not really all that surprising that the Prophecy sounds “different” from the Studio LP. The Dirty Fingers pick-ups in the Prophecy are very high output. Whether or not this is a good thing is going to depend on your ear and the type of music you wish to play. I love the fact that as hot as they are, you can still get a great, warm clean sound out of them too!

From a “looks” standpoint, between the two guitars I don’t feel there is any contest. The Prophecy has all of the appointments that you would expect on a “custom” model. They are not “traditional” by any stretch and some guys find the lightning bolts and all the gold a little had to take. Again … personal preference.

Finally, the age-old question of buying a “real” Les Paul vs. buying an imported copy. That is a choice that every owner of a non-Gibson Les Paul has to make for himself. If you are not brand-name conscious, you can certainly see the kind of “bang for the buck” you will get by going with the Epiphone.

This is an Epiphone Forum, so you will find lot’s of support for your decision either way … as well as some suggestions for other guitars you might want to look at as well. Have fun making your choice. Most importantly: when you do decide … POST PICS!

Jim

I would GAS for a Gibson LP Studio if it weren't for the chambered bodies they now have. When I played one I was very disappointed with its weak, tinny unplugged tone compared to the fat resonant tone of my Epi LP Standard Plus.

Archived