Gibson Brands Forums

Bigsby on a Riviera

scantron

B3 seems to be the one. Not sure about bridge etc but I'm going to put a B7 on mine and just have the holes drilled because that seems to be the recommended one for 335 shapes and the tune-o-matic bridge that's there is fine.

I put the B70 on my Riv' a while back. It made the guitar unbalanced for playing with out a strap. Very body heavy with the Kluson style tuners. I just ordered a set of Grover vintage 136N machines with hope it will offset the condition. The guitar looks cool as hell though!

The B6 won't work due to the lack of angle at the bridge. The guitar just doesn't have enough height at the top of the arch, pretty much a straight line. To easy for the strings to pop off the bridge saddles. Also the guitar seems alot heavier over all as well...

Hope this helps you out!

The B6 won't work due to the lack of angle at the bridge. The guitar just doesn't have enough height at the top of the arch' date=' pretty much a straight line. To easy for the strings to pop off the bridge saddles. Also the guitar seems alot heavier over all as well...

Hope this helps you out!

[/quote']

Totally, good point!

I hadn't thought of the break angle, this guitar's bridge is relatively low to begin with so with the height of the Bigsby I'll bet the break angle would be poor.

Honestly, I'm not really that into this guitar other than how it looks! The neck is just WAY too skinny for me, I prefer my Gibson 335. Putting a Bigsby on it was a way to justify keeping it around...

There might be a '94 blonde Riviera on the 'Bay pretty soon!

I saw on music123 that there is a Epiphone Riviera Limited Edition with 3 P-93's pickups and a gold bigsby installed, wine red finish for 499. If you are putting on your already purchased Riviera, then bigsbyguitars.com recommend putting the B-7g in gold if you want, the B-70 or the B-12 on es335 shape guitars

I don't know if they're licensed, but there are a few branded Bigsbys around... I've seen Epiphone, Fender, Gretsch, and Ibanez. If your guitar doesn't have one now, chances are it never will, unless you find someone getting rid of theirs.

Just wanted to let you all know that I installed the Grover 136N tuners last nite, and the guitar is pretty much balanced out as I hoped. Reamed out the holes in back of the headstock to 25/64th's with tapered reamer, plus a half inch depth with a straight reamer. They lined right up like the originals, perfect fit...

Very Cool!

Just wanted to let you all know that I installed the Grover 136N tuners last nite' date=' and the guitar is pretty much balanced out as I hoped. Reamed out the holes in back of the headstock to 25/64th's with tapered reamer, plus a half inch depth with a straight reamer. They lined right up like the originals, perfect fit...

Very Cool![/quote']

Let's see it!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so now I'd rather put a Bigsby on my beater Dot.

How come no one ever talks about using the B3/B30?

I'd think one would rather avoid drilling holes in the top of their guitar...

I've played them on old Silvertones & similar guitars and they work fine, too.

Archived