Gibson Brands Forums

Epi SG Special Custom Shop Limited Edition???

tgifntx

Hey gang,

I picked up a Epiphone SG special, custom shop limited edition earlier today and I didn't even realize there was such an animal... Can anyone tell me if this is for real or has someone just swapped a neck out..? The guitar actually plays real nice and wow what a huge difference in weight from my Epi LP custom shop. Unreal!! Just out of curiosity I pulled the neck pup, (blk/cream), to see what the story was and it's an epi pup. I apologize for no photo at present, But, I'll do that ASAP. It's actually a purdy cool guitar..? Just curious what some thoughts would be.

Thanks so much

Hey metal,

What's goin on... Yes sir that'd be it! It just freaked me out to be a "special" custom shop

ltd edition..? I didn't realize there was such ya know. Thanks so much for the shot of it. I thought

I might have took a hickey on it. Not bad though, 80 bucks.

Thanks metal!!!

From what I understand, Custom Shop models are much the same as the standard, widely available models, but there are a couple differences, like the finish, maybe the pickups, or the pickguard or something which sets them apart from those you ordinarily find.

For example you can get the LP Custom in only White or Ebony (excluding the Custom Plus), but I have seen LP Customs in Natural finishes, and they bear the Custom Shop stamp because of it. A G400 SG with a large pickguard is labelled a Custom Shop model, even though it is no different to a regular G400, apart from that pickguard.

In the Case of the SG Special Custom Shop, it looks to have different pickups, and that worn finish which isn't available on an ordinary Special.

Hey swoop,

Cool! Thanks for all the info! It's really not a bad guitar as I can tell... Just fooled with it for a bit today, Took the

strings, etc off and gave it a good goin over ya know. I'll get some fresh strings on it tomorrow afternoon and

go from there. Again, Thanks you guys for all the great info and insight, You're the best!!

Have just a GREAT weekend!

I'm sure it's quite a good guitar, especially with that finish. Lots of people rave about that faded finish on the Vintage G400, so I imagine it's much the same with the Special. That's really what lacks most with the lower end, bolt neck Epiphones - a high standard of finish. If it's already got hotter, upgraded pickups, all it really needs are some decent tuners, that's another thing that the bolt neck Epi's lack. You could put some Grovers or similar on it and it'd be very nice indeed.

Swoop,

Yes sir, The ol' bolt on neck for sure... I've got some grovers in and amongst the hatchet

knot, somewhere... I'll get some time here pretty soon to mess with it. I remember the LP

specials and then they went to the special II and it seems like folks talked about the quality

going deeper in the muck..? It was just a fluke deal and I noticed the custom shop stamp

and thought, what the heck... Can't complain about quality at this price here. I got it with

an Boss GT-6 which was what I was genuinely chasin ya know. At any rate, Yeah, I'll sure

have to do some thinking on what to do with it for sure..? Thanks again swoop!

Have a good one sir!

Hey swoop,

I'm sorry... By the way, Nice equipment ya got there!! You're LP is just like mine with the exception

of the pick guard, (chrome), and I've since added some d'activators. These Epi LP Customs are

righteous guitars huh!!!

Thanks again!

Hey metal' date='

What's goin on... Yes sir that'd be it! It just freaked me out to be a "[i']special[/i]" custom shop

ltd edition..? I didn't realize there was such ya know. Thanks so much for the shot of it. I thought

I might have took a hickey on it. Not bad though, 80 bucks.

Thanks metal!!!

no problem i saw sg special and that it had zebra pups and i knew i had seen something like that somewhere

Hey swoop' date='

I'm sorry... [b']By the way, Nice equipment ya got there!! [/b]You're LP is just like mine with the exception

of the pick guard, (chrome), and I've since added some d'activators. These Epi LP Customs are

righteous guitars huh!!!

Thanks again!

Hey mate, I like your style. For sure, the LP Custom is a fantastic guitar. I certianly love mine. I've never held a guitar in my hands that just feels so powerful. It's got real balls, and I love the contrast of the white binding on the Ebony finish. Be sure to post pics of your gear, there's nothing I, and most 'round these parts, like more than to see pics of guitars.

Does anyone know anything about the pickups in the faded Special. Obviously they're 'Zebra' pickups, but is there anything special about them?

• 10 years later...

So I purchased an epiphone sg and it says limited edition custom shop on the back so i believe it is one of the 2008 models. But it is one of those with the batwing pickgaurds and so the posts for the bridge are through the pickgaurd. I want to change the pickups and wiring out for the guitar but I can’t do that if I can’t get the pickgaurd off so if anyone know how I can take the pickgaurd off please let me know. Thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2019 at 11:14 PM, Grady said:

So I purchased an epiphone sg and it says limited edition custom shop on the back so i believe it is one of the 2008 models. But it is one of those with the batwing pickgaurds and so the posts for the bridge are through the pickgaurd. I want to change the pickups and wiring out for the guitar but I can’t do that if I can’t get the pickgaurd off so if anyone know how I can take the pickgaurd off please let me know. Thank you. 

Once the strings are off, pop off the bridge and unscrew the posts. That should be all you need to do.

• 1 year later...

Hello group, I recently purchased a Epiphone limited edition CUSTOM SHOP SG, with a fixed neck, Grover Tuners, a tail piece which attached to the base of the guitar at the straps button an strings attach to it, tail stock runs near to the bridge. The pick guard is none that I have seen before. The paint is Metallic ice blue.  Has a engraved epiphone  in the tail piece. Also the back of the neck a branded custom shop impregnated into the wood neck. Has pearl inlay on the neck like a custom Les Paul would have and in the head stock, and has some real weight to not like other EPIPHONE Guitars and a serial number as long as my right arm.

QUESTION is this guitar something epiphone through together or something else ?

Edited by Babies