Gibson Brands Forums

Whats the best amp i can buy

Get something with tubes. Like Svet says, a 10 watt tube amp is plenty loud for most applications. You're posting in an Epiphone forum, so check out the Valve Jr. combo or head with cabinet. These are both very affordable. The combo obviously has the convenience of being very portable. The head/cabinet will be louder due to the larger speakers. Need more info from you determining what will be best for you.

Valve Jr. Combo

Valve Jr. Head

Extension Cabinet you'll need with the head.

These are 5 watts, but the tube circuit makes them fairly loud. What amp are you using now?

Get something with tubes. Like Svet says' date=' a 10 watt tube amp is plenty loud for most applications. You're posting in an Epiphone forum, so check out the Valve Jr. combo or head with cabinet. These are both very affordable. The combo obviously has the convenience of being very portable. The head/cabinet will be louder due to the larger speakers. Need more info from you determining what will be [b']best for you[/b].

Valve Jr. Combo

Valve Jr. Head

Extension Cabinet you'll need with the head.

These are 5 watts, but the tube circuit makes them fairly loud. What amp are you using now?

My votes for the Epi 5 watt head with cabinet....you'll be a happy man...and depending on taste, you need to dump them stock tubes for the JJ's tubes...

Whats the best amp i can buy

Impossible question. Even if we DID know how much $$ you had to spend, you haven't mentioned how much power you want, what kind of music you play, what size venues you play in, what kind of output tubes you prefer, how much gain you're looking for, what types of features you're looking for, etc., your question is still much open to subjective opinion.

Impossible question. Even if we DID know how much $$ you had to spend' date=' you haven't mentioned how much power you want, what kind of music you play, what size venues you play in, what kind of output tubes you prefer, how much gain you're looking for, what types of features you're looking for, etc., your question is still much open to subjective opinion. [/quote']

+1

Suggestion -- go to a guitar shop, select an amp modeler (POD or other), test all of its modeled amps through headphones. Make note of the amp models that produce the kind of tones you are after. Then try to find/test real versions of those amps to narrow in on the wattage/features/price that suits your needs.

Hey, you have to start somewhere and at least this way it will be your ears and not ours that will be picking your rig.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

In terms of perceived loudness, disregarding the effect of speaker efficiency and cabinet design, a 10 watt amp is half as loud as a 100 watt amp. 50-60 watts is generally loud enough for a band situation. Now, that stated, what kind of music do you play? Do you need built-in effects? Is weight, size, or cost a consideration? Do you prefer tube or solid state?

Give us some more info and we will discuss the pros and cons. Who's your guitar hero?

You want to go up from 10 watts? - so it's not a 5W EVJ then is it, or the lovely Carr, or my Laney L5T (nice).

The very versatile Blues Custom 30 - you get a lot of bang for your buck and it's a sort of Bassman clone.

With the right valves and speakers its volume goes to about 13, or mousefart.

Our amps went well past 11 tonight, to about twenty to twelve, then we had to pack up because the bar was shut.

Our O.P. did ask for something more than 10 wattos. My 10 watt valve amp would not really have coped with tonight, in competition with a Laney VC30-112, bass, vocals and harp on p.a. plus drummer. My ss 30W AD30VT only just about held its end up, my valve 30W BC30 could have drowned them out. And yet in 15W mode it can perform with more sartorial elegance in a domestic environment without awakening the cats.

Archived