Gibson Brands Forums

Tusq saddle

marker33

The Tusq saddle and bridge pins seem like a good deal. Has anyone put them on their acoustic?

If so' date=' did you notice better tone and sound, or is it a waste of money?

[/quote']

Saddle definitely. Pins definitely maybe.

I bought my Hummingbird used and the previoius owner already installed a new Tusq saddle and nut. (I think the pins are tusq too but not sure). I think swapping the plastic saddle for tusq or even bone would make an improvement. I am not sure how much of a difference swapping the plastic nut for tusq would make. Some people think it makes a difference in tone and some don't. I've also heard swapping the bridge pins for another material instead of plastic makes a difference too. I'd start with the saddle for sure...

I had a bone saddle put on my Hummingbird which was great compared to the plastic original but then I tried a Tusq one and I believe that works even better than the bone. Either way, it's quite a cheap mod so try it and see. I'm happy with mine.

Matt

I bought a tusq saddle, pins, and nut for my AJ200s. I couldn't get the original nut loose so I abandoned the attempt to replace the nut. I think it must be glued in. The diameter of the pins was too wide to fit in the holes as they currently exist so I stuck with the original pins there too.

THe saddle, however is a different story. I had to sand down the length and width a little bit but I mangaed to get it to just the right size and frankly, it made a tremendous difference in tone. The harmonics seem richer and the tone is just more ballsy. This isn't really surprising as the original plastic saddle was actually kind of loose in the slot. If I turned the guitar over with no strings on it, the saddle would just fall out! The plastic saddle is rather soft and malleable while the tusq saddle is very, very hard. I think you'd find that it makes a tremendous difference over a plastic saddle.

Spyders

Archived