Gibson Brands Forums

Newb needs some advice on used SG.

Bigcountry

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forums and new to the guitar. Please don't flame me. :^o Recently I purchase an Epi SG from a pawn shop for $165 US. I liked the way it looked and felt. I believe it to be a G400. The serial number is EE-03101523. It has a set neck and Jinko tuners. The bridge pickup does not seem to work. All of the soldering and connections look intact.

First question - Is it in fact an G400? - I can post pictures later.

Second question - Is this guitar worth putting in new pickups, or should I just focus on the trying to get the ones installed to work? Either way, I sound terrible at this point.

Third question - Since I am a newb, is there a more economical route to go with pups (other than SD's I have seen recommended on other threads. )if in fact it is your recommendation to replace the currently installed pups?

Thanks for your help,

Warren

Look up GFS pickups online. They are the best "value" brand I know of and highly regarded. New GFS pups are relatively cheap and so, as long as you can solder for yourself, not a bad idea to just go ahead and order some rather than waste time with what you have.

I dont know if yours is a genuine G400. I beleieve all recent genuine Epis use Grover tuners but I dont know how long that has been true for.

Hi Guys' date='

I am new to the forums and new to the guitar. Please don't flame me. :^o Recently I purchase an Epi SG from a pawn shop for $165 US. I liked the way it looked and felt. I believe it to be a G400. The serial number is EE-03101523. It has a set neck and Jinko tuners. The bridge pickup does not seem to work. All of the soldering and connections look intact.

First question - Is it in fact an G400? - I can post pictures later.

Second question - Is this guitar worth putting in new pickups, or should I just focus on the trying to get the ones installed to work? Either way, I sound terrible at this point.

Third question - Since I am a newb, is there a more economical route to go with pups (other than SD's I have seen recommended on other threads. )if in fact it is your recommendation to replace the currently installed pups?

Thanks for your help,

Warren[/quote']

It sounds like a G-400 to me. EE is the code for the Epiphone factory in China, 0310xxxx indicates it was made in October 2003.

As for the pickup, I would check out the electronics first. First thing I would do, put the switch in the middle position and tap both pickups to see if both pickups are on. If the bridge pickup works in the middle position, it's the switch. If so, try this: Remove the little plastic knob on the switch and then try it in all three positions. These switches sometimes have a problem with the cap being a hair too long, and it blocks the switch from traveling all the way. If that does the trick, just sand the bottom of the switch cap a little and don't screw it on too tight.

If that's not the problem, my guess is electronics. If you have a volt meter, check to see if the hot lead is shorting to ground.

If you have to replace the pickup, GFS offers a real good product at a reasonable price. I think that would be a better option than getting a replacement Epi pup, and way less than a Duncan.

Good luck, posts some pix, and RotcanX ( Spuds) is the resident SG expert on the forum.

I dont know if yours is a genuine G400. I beleieve all recent genuine Epis use Grover tuners but I dont know how long that has been true for.

I had a Chinese made Epiphone Chet Atkins that had the Jinko tuners on it. It was from that same period of time.

As for the pickup' date=' I would check out the electronics first. First thing I would do, put the switch in the middle position and tap both pickups to see if both pickups are on. If the bridge pickup works in the middle position, it's the switch. [/quote']

I have previously tried the tap test with no sounds coming out of the bridge pickup from any switch setting.

If that's not the problem' date=' my guess is electronics. If you have a volt meter, check to see if the hot lead is shorting to ground.[/quote']

I will pursue this angle.

If I get in this over my head, is this guitar even worth taking into a luthier?

Thanks for the quick responses.

W

If I get in this over my head' date=' is this guitar even worth taking into a luthier?

Thanks for the quick responses.

W[/quote']

Well, the EE G-400s are pretty decent guitars, and at $165 you've done very well.

In all cases, keep in mind what you paid for it, and what a brand new one sells for. If wouldn't make sense to pay a luthier more than the difference to get this one going.

That being said, a pair of GFS pickups would be a worthwhile upgrade. Figure out what's wrong with the electronics first (it's not rocket science, all you need is a multimeter) and then go shopping at Guitarfetish.

I am new to the forums and new to the guitar. Please don't flame me. :)

You probably figured out by now - this forum has really cool people and they don't flame newbs, in fact everyone jumps at the chance to help a newb here. You can probably make this a do-it-yourself project quite easily considering the fairly low initial price paid for the guitar. I wouldn't go to a luthier on this one, make it a project to do it yourself (at the cost of a little extra time) and you will be happier and more knowledgeable once it's all done. Good luck!

Archived