Gibson Brands Forums

Epi joe pass help please Inotation adjusting possible? need to know before buying

mrjones200x

Hi there my local cash convertors has a very good condition epiphone for sale at £150 which says joe pass on the truss rod cover and is a hollow bodied sort of guitar. It has the tree type inlay on the headstock and has a joe pass type signiture in the pickguard. Any info would be great as i think its a great price just dont know what to research. Also with that price is a hard case.

Thanks

I think its an emperor2

How are they stock?

Ok went to see it today and its lovely and played really nice.............well at the first few frets then it was all over the place with the tuning. As its an joe pass emperor 2 it has a wooden fixed bridge which goes up and down but you cant adjust the inotation how could you ever set it up properly?

If this could be fixed cheaply then this guitar i would say is a bargin at the price it is.

Not sure on the strings on it and i know string gauge can play a big part in inotation problems they felt like 11's to me but thats a guess. Would i have to buy another bridge as its already shaped or would larger strings help?

It is about half a step out on nearly all the strings at the 12th frett. Actually when i do the low E the 12th reads E on the tuner but just runs of the scale. A string shows A but is right at the end but hasnt yet showed A# so maybe i mean a quarter step out.??? Sorry to confuse you tho. Anyhow its unplayable past the 5th fret.

Any help would be great

Bump, Prob wont last long in the shop so be hepfull if anyone could help about the inotation problem, thanks.

Will offer the guitar on here if i get it too. Will offer it for prob about £260 with the hard case as i'll need to spend few quid sorting bits out then a good setup ect

Thanks

It is about half a step out on nearly all the strings at the 12th frett. Actually when i do the low E the 12th reads E on the tuner but just runs of the scale. A string shows A but is right at the end but hasnt yet showed A# so maybe i mean a quarter step out.??? Sorry to confuse you tho. Anyhow its unplayable past the 5th fret.

Any help would be great

Bump' date=' Prob wont last long in the shop so be hepfull if anyone could help about the inotation problem, thanks.

Thanks[/quote']

Try moving the bridge, it's position is probably just a little off. It could have fallen off when strings were change and put in the wrong spot. As for not having individual saddles for exact intonation, neither do most acoustics and they seem to work fine. Most Gretsch guitars don't have individual saddles, but Chet did pretty good with them. Just got to get the bridge in the correct position. Good luck.

move the bridge how? Up and down? It doesnt go back and forward as its fixed? Do you mean a slacken the strings and give it a slight wobble to see if its pulling one way slightly on the pins and not sitting 100% square?

Cheers

move the bridge how? Up and down? It doesnt go back and forward as its fixed? Do you mean a slacken the strings and give it a slight wobble to see if its pulling one way slightly on the pins and not sitting 100% square?

Cheers

The bridge is only held on by string tension. Take the strings off and the whole bridge including the base will come off. Put it back in the wrong spot and the intonation will be off. Move the whole bridge towards the neck or tailpiece depending on whether it's sharp or flat.

In the old days' date=' the points of the f-hole roughly indicated where the bridge should go. I don't think that attention to detail exists today. When you do get the bridge properly located, you could mark the spot to make it easy to find again. Or you could do what Brian Setzer does and have the bridge [i']pinned[/i], which means having teo little studs installed in the base of the bridge with two small corresponding holes in the top. The studs fit into the holes so the bridge woun't slide around (sometimes a problem with floating bridges). An experienced tech could do that for you, or if you're handy it's not overly complicated.

Check out this web site. If you look at the first photo, you can see that the bridge sits directly between the inside points of the f-hole. He also shows how to pin a bridge. I've done a few like that, you have to careful, the base can split pretty easy.

Thankyou so much i didnt know the whole bridge came away from the guitar, i thought that one peice was fixed and the other went up and down for height. If i can removed the whole lot then that would be great.

If its there tommorrow then im off to buy it! Only needs a few bits doing to make it great, New plastic pickup selector ring (Cracked) 2 pots need cleaning or replacing only crackle a bit when turned and needs a full set up with new strings. Prob spend £50 on cleaning it up so should be good to sell on then

Archived