Gibson Brands Forums

PLZ HELP! FIRST ACOUSTIC!

collin

Ok, So i heard that people say that you should always play a guitar before you buy it (especially with acoustics). I took a chance with my gibson lp basing that it would be good on their name's rep. The guitar store doesnt have any epis in stock but they have a shreinburg or smthing like that. I really like the ej 200 but i would not be able to play it at all before i buy it. Should i go with the unknown brand that i can play and examine to my hearts content or should i buy the epiphone ej 200 online without playing or anything like that?

p.s :the shreinberg thingy is black with a thick creme binding and heelcap, silver tuners and is a thinline acoustic electric) just in case youo heard of the brand. ( could also be streinberg?)

I would always, always recommend that you play a guitar before purchase. Full disclosure: I have acquired many guitars online. Some were keepers, others not.

If your guitar store has a return policy, then use it. If it does not, you are taking a chance that the guitar you buy will be not the one you really want.

Several years ago, I decided that I wanted a Taylor. I went to the guitar store and played every Taylor in the store. I was prepared to spend, literally, thousands of dollars on a new guitar. The one that "spoke" to me was a 310CE, nearly at the bottom of the line. That was the guitar that went home with me, and is on the guitar stand in my office.

I would recommend an Epiphone without reservation. I have never heard of shreinburg or something like that. That is not to say that a Shreinburg is not a quality guitar. I just have never heard of the brand.

So, in my opinion, which is worth the price paid, is to either get your guitar store guy to order the model you are interested in, with the proviso that if you feel it is not the guitar you want, you will not buy it, or, go to a guitar store that does have epi's in stock.

Happy hunting! That is half the fun!

Pete

Hey,

it has been my experience that acoustics vary more than electrics, both in sound and feel, which means even if you have played a certain model somewhere and liked it, you may not like each and every example of this model. For example: I really like the Gibson Advanced Jumbo, but I have played a few that I liked less than others. For that reason, I am very slow to buy an acoustic I've never played. That doesn't mean I never have, but like Pete said, it's a crap shoot.

Since we're talking about your first acoustic, I think it should be one you've actually played and felt comfortable with. If you buy one off of the Internet and it ends up not being exactly what you like, that could result in you deciding that acoustic in general isn't for you, when in reality the guitar is the problem.

Hi -

Pete Wilson and "old scratch" are on target with their advice to play one before you buy, if you can. I don't where you live, but there is an internet music store that may help you by setting up a guitar to your preference, as much as possible, before they send it. Send me a PM if your interested as I don't want to publicly "plug" any specific store(s).

Regards

I have to agree, play your possible purchase if you can. +1 on the epiphone recommendation. I think they make great starter guitars and even higher end models. I bought a hummingbird last year in a natural finish. I had it setup by my local shop and now I can't put it down. If I dropped tomorrow, they would have to pry it from my dead hands before they buried me !! (or get me a REALLY odd shaped casket)

try it b4 buying it!!!! dont fall the same trap as i did.[-X last year i played a ej-200 @ guitar center and loved it and then bought it on line. to my suprise i was not satisfied](*,) some days its nice and soothing and some days i just want to bash it due to the tone and action!!! i had the nut, saddle and pins changed to bone but still the sound of this guitar does not satisfy my ears. so now, i'm hoping to replace it, hoping for a blueridge=d> dont know if its a good switch for me but who knows.

My honest opinion. If you are NEW to the guit tar, you could not do much worse than an internet purchased Epiphone. I would definitely be leary of this Shreimerberger.. or whatever. I have not heard of any brand that comes close to that monicker. Could be a cheaply built store brand of unknown lineage. It may play well, but could have action a foot high by Christmas.

For a first guit tar.. given the choices you've given us. Get the Epi. When you learn your chops and know what kind of voice you prefer in a guit tar, THEN get picky.

I may be opposite the others posting here, but no matter what it sounds like... If I don't know the brand or can't find anything out about it... I'd give it a pass.

Well, I really like the EJ-200, so I like your idea. There is one at my local Guitar Center, but it plays like crap. There are two of the EJ-200CE models at another store, and they both play better, but don't sound as good acoustically. I think a guitar, especially an acoustic, has to 'speak' to you. The one at Guitar Center would be nice with a good setup.

Here is a possibility....look for one on Ebay, you will pay less than new, and more likely be able to get your money out of it if you don't like it. Just a thought.

I like the Epiphone brand the most when it comes to cheap acoustics. Alvarez is pretty nice also.

Oh yeah, I forgot.....if you are new and looking for a new acoustic....be leary of salespeople. Some are cool, but if you go in there not knowing your stuff, then you may walk out with less a deal than you could have had.

The Sheimberger or whatever brand sounds like that kind of guitar......Never heard of them in the US.

Archived