Gibson Brands Forums

HeLP! hum and Feedback?@?!!#@

hey guys, i am haveing a problem, im movin home for the summer (from school) and i went there a month ago, a resonable new house my parents live in ( about 5 to 6 yrs old) and when i plug my blackheart lil gaint, and my valvetronix in and play there is a very loud hum coming out of both amps, also seems to make some of my guitars feedback at high vols. the main thing is i just wana play but the noise sounds so horible, i am almost positve its not the amps becuse i use them all the time in my house where i go to school, i mean it hums even with out the vol under 12 o'clock, my dad has no idea what it could be, the only thing i know is that there was some sort of speaker system throuhgt the house that kinda works and theres wires all over the attack, any help, any ideas? or ways to stop this from happening i dont want to damage my amps

well i have a new cable, what i am saying is i only live about 5 hours away from my parents home, i play my amps one at a time , all the time in my house where i live when im in school, and theres no exrta noise at all, its just in the new house they moved into and it seams to follow me into several rooms in there new house, i havent tried the garage yet, do you guys think there is some sort of surge protector that could help this

It's gotta be bad wiring in the house then. A surge protector isn't going to give you clean voltage and a good ground that isn't at the wall to begin with. Something's not right with the house wiring, the way it sounds to me. You should be able to get a basic check done with a $5.00 outlet fault detector, which is a small device that plugs into the outlet and gives you an LED indicator to show whether or not something is terribly amiss. It won't tell you what to do to fix it, but it will at least let you know if something is drastically wrong. My guess is you'll need an electrician to fix it.

If you have access to a voltmeter, you can check the outlets manually. On a 110v outlet, there are two slots and a half round ground connection. The shorter of the two slots is the hot side, the longer slot is AC neutral. Set your meter on AC and the 200v range and read the outlet like this.

Hot to ground (short slot to the half rounded one) should = approximately 110vac to 125vac

Hot to neutral (long slot to the short slot) should = approximately 110vac to 125vac

Neutral to ground (long slot to the half rounded one) should = less than 5vac

If you get a variance from the above, the house or the outlet is wired wrong. For instance, if you get 115vac from neutral to ground and 0-5vac from hot to ground, The outlet is wired backwards and you have 115vac on the ground points of the frame. This can be dangerous if you touch the frame and another properly grounded device at the same time. If your amp has a two prong plug, this can happen and nothing will blow. If it had a three prong plug, you would be asking why the fuse or breaker blew when you plugged up. So many devices are insulated ground design nowdays that you could have some reversed outlets and never know it. Most modern devices with 3 prong plugs are 220vac these days and those wouldn't be affected because they have 2 separate phases of ac and a neutral bond back to the box.

If you get more than 5 vac from neutral to ground there is a voltage path from the hot to ground that is not low enough in resistance to blow a breaker, but can affect all kinds of ac devices. One way that this can happen is rain water getting into the feed conduit where the wires from the street enter the main electrical box service meter box. I have had this happen once or twice in new buildings where the electrician left the cap off the entrance cable conduit and rain water got into the conduit.

I'm suspecting flourescent lights in your area. Lots of houses use flourescent all over nowdays. I'd be insterested to know...does an AM radio get this type of hum?

Archived