Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Del Rey

mgrasso

I have not seen may threads on the Del Rey and thought I would start one and hear from other owners.

This is a great model that does not get enough attention.

Is this Epiphone's only try at a Les Paul DC Standard?

Cherry Sunburst and Black transparent are the only finishes I have seen.

Am I wrong on this?

This one just sold on e-bay- Del Rey

I was surprised to see it go for $660. I have seen these go from $250 - $400 in past auctions.

I bought mine over a year ago on e-bay for $245 including hardshell case.

DSC01178.jpg

DSC01179.jpg

Mine was hardly use (lucky me), and the gold hardware has no tarnish at all (I will post clearer photos later and in better light)

The pickups and the coil taping give this a variety of sounds.

The neck is not too thin, plays great.

Tuners stay in tune well.

Very light weight.

Any other Del Rey owners out there?

Nice little guitar. Quite think and lighter than a Les Paul. The hardware was junk on mine and I replaced all of it, some out of necessity, some out of fear that it would break during a gig. Didn't care for the pickups and replaced them as well. Didn't lose much on having it and, as I said, it was a nice little guitar. The wife said when I got my Sheraton that something had to go, so bye, bye Del Rey.

• 2 weeks later...

My Del Rey is exactly like the one you have shown and I absolutely love it. I bought mine about 6 months ago for $250 with the hardshell case. I've been playing for 20+ years, and think I'm pretty good, but I don't have a lot of the guitar lingo like a lot of the people on here. All I know is I've owned probably 15 guitars, and this is by far the best sounding I've ever had. Plays like butter, fast action, and looks like a much more expensive guitar. Thing that I've heard is that some of these have the "coil tapping" option. Mine does not, and I'm not exactly sure what advantage that would be. Enlighten me someone if you would.

Thing that I've heard is that some of these have the "coil tapping" option. Mine does not' date=' and I'm not exactly sure what advantage that would be. Enlighten me someone if you would.[/quote']

That's weird yours don't have that feature. It's a push /pull pot on your controls, splits the humbuckers....single coil. I got rid of mine years ago so can't remember if the vol or tone pot...thinking it was the volume knob. I do remember mine came wired wrong from the factory...or so my tech told me. Guess he was right cause I do remember liking how it worked much better after he rewired it.

Raf, you rule! I completely had no idea that it was a pull pot on the tone. Just went downstairs and there it was. Thanks man. Guess I don't know sheeot! Funny thing is when I was buying this guitar from a guy on Craigslist, I had heard of this but when asking the seller, he too had no idea what I was talking about. He had maybe 10 hours on this thing as the original owner. He was originally asking $400, and I felt pretty good getting it for what I did. I played 10 hours in the first week of owning her. Everyone always talks about the rarity of this axe. I'd buy another one if I could find one. I'd like that Amber version. Haven't seen one for sale since I bought mine this past December.

There was a Transparent Black for sale on e-bay about 3 months ago. I think those were the only colors.

Mine was hardly used and plays great.

Pittsburgh Guitars hand an easy job setting it up for me.

Everything works and sounds great.

I'm with you Don, if I find another one in the same price range, I will pick it up.

But $660? I will pass on that.

Hi, Nice Del Ray. I thought that mine was a Del Ray for years. I bought this like 15 years ago, was really a bargain.

I swapped ou the pickups for some Carvin M-22's (still have the originals).

I never thought anything else until I got a newsletter email from My Rare Guitars and saw it pictured in there. Great article. Oh Yeah.....This is an Epi Spotlight guitar.

Epi-Spotlight-Amber-frt-ful.jpg

Epi-Spotlight-Amber-frt-clo.jpg

Epi-Spotlight-Amber-bk-full.jpg

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww129/goldbonder/guitars/Epi-Spotlight-Amber-frt-hds.jpg[/img

• 5 months later...
Rare as hen's teeth and fine as frog's hair' date=' the Del Rey is the stable favorite in my line-up. Bought it new in '98 and have changed nothing but the strings. When I had my Benavente Custom made I had the neck spec'd off the Del Rey.[/quote']

I am new to that forum! I ain't expected a forum exists!

I got my Del Rey in France.

Actually I figured out the serial number, and mine is a Japanese one made in 1998.

Pickups were replaced by EMGs (EMG 81 in Bridge and EMG 89 in Neck).

The hardware is respectable! Nothing to complain about! and Tuners stay fine in tune!

After some research, I now am exited to do the 19 volts mod!

SDC12014.JPG

SDC12015.JPG

The neck is like a butter road stained with honey and spain refined oil! You slide and pull-off like heaven!

I don't agree with those who say the DEL REY is not heavy! Unless we have musculed arms!

In comparison to the Washburn N2 i used to own, the Del Rey is heavy and we handle it we feel the consistence!

And the great sustain is partially due to this!

Here is a sample of the sound :

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/18/2328034/NeckTapCoil-DELREY-StereoCrunch.mp3

i'd like one of those the only thing to change is the neck position. i'd want a better access to the 22nd fret. i'd also change it from 24 to 22 frets for a more standard hb position. they could re issue this one! that "spotlight" seems to fit the bill for me too.

Yeah, you're right! depending on the style one plays, the neck position could be changed!

In my case, if I decide to have a different pickup pisiton, I d change the Neck pickup which is EMG89 to EMG89R (reversed coil position), so I could have the tapped coil againt the neck for more stratocaster sound.

The fact the neck is 24 frets is a gift! The engineer who designed this guitar is clever or was clever (may he be alive still)!

As you said the access to the 22th/24th frets is pain if you wanna do magical sweeps or progressive ascending arpeggios while playing any E Scale! but that has its hardware and tone advantages! I'd let you discover this soon:!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I just picked up one yesterday from a Criagslist ad with a hardshell case.

I got it for $225.00. The guy I got it from had used it playing rhythym in a country band. BAAH!

I think mine needs a little set up. And lucky me! Guitar Center has a spcial on set ups

for only $15.00. Though I am going to miss this thing for a day or two.

Mine is Purple and was made in 1998. Flawless!

Yeah, my friends play Real Les Pauls professionally, but I can't wait for them to

get a pull on this bad boy.

I really like the tap coil feature. It gives a great strat sound!

This is a great guitar!

post-26486-070826300 1287696234_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up one yesterday from a Criagslist ad with a hardshell case.

I got it for $225.00. The guy I got it from had used it playing rhythym in a country band. BAAH!

I think mine needs a little set up. And lucky me! Guitar Center has a spcial on set ups

for only $15.00. Though I am going to miss this thing for a day or two.

Mine is Purple and was made in 1998. Flawless!

Yeah, my friends play Real Les Pauls professionally, but I can't wait for them to

get a pull on this bad boy.

I really like the tap coil feature. It gives a great strat sound!

This is a great guitar!

firstly... the Del Rey is neither a copy of a PRS nor is it an Epi copy of a Gibson DC. It is actually the last Epi offering in the Crestwood line (if you don't know what a Crestwood or Olympic is, check on www.gbase.com and search for the model, they're cool). I wouldn't associate it with the Coronet either as the Korean version was pretty darn klunky. Second, OBL pickups (which originally came in the guitar) are not made by Bill Lawrence.

i bought one back in Scotland in the late nineties when they first came out (without serial numbers) Same colour as in your picture and never seen another one since. I was stupid and sold it and its the only guitar i regretted selling. I now live in Canada and i cant even find one here.

i loved that guitar and want it back, i'll never get the original back but should you ever feel like selling....just email

That is a great looking Del Rey.I had read by another member that he had a red/pink finished Del Rey, but have never seen a photo of one.

The black one looks good to.

One of the best Epiphones to come out of the 90's IMHO.

Keep showing us your Del Reys!

Mark

Archived