Gibson Brands Forums

recommended amp for les paul custom

hey, so i need a new amp for my epiphone les paul custom. i been readin about it and vox 30watt ADVT30 sounds good, what do u guys think? looking to spend maybe £150, think 30watt should be enough for me, want a nice amp that can do various styles.

The Vox AD30VT is loud and has a wide range of tones. Good for everthing its my current setup and theres no complaints about it. If you get it you wont be dissapointed. Hope all goes well.

DON'T EVEN BOTHER WITH LINE 6! The tone from them sucks.

Regards

Wrighty2012

hey' date=' so i need a new amp for my epiphone les paul custom. i been readin about it and vox 30watt ADVT30 sounds good, what do u guys think? looking to spend maybe £150, think 30watt should be enough for me, want a nice amp that can do various styles.[/quote']

I personally have the Vox VT15 w/ my '56 Goldtop Reissue. I recommend, if you're able to, take your guitar to a local shop and play through a variety of amps to see which one fits your needs best. Just keep in mind that if your pickups are bright or muddy by nature you'll want an amp that can counter it so that it doesn't become too bright/muddy. For instance my neck pickup is really muddy and the only time i use it is w/ the AC15 and AC30 settings on the VT15. Hope that helps.

CW

hey' date=' so i need a new amp for my epiphone les paul custom. i been readin about it and vox 30watt ADVT30 sounds good, what do u guys think? looking to spend maybe £150, think 30watt should be enough for me, want a nice amp that can do various styles.[/quote']

What are you using now and what don't you like about it?

im using a mates squier practise amp, its about 10watts, doesnt sound good. at home i have an even worse amp that i got with a package beginner guitar deal about 6 years ago.only debatable plus point of that one is that it hasnt broken yet.need a serious amp to make guitar sound really good. i have a takamine ef341sc too so if it would work nice with that then that;d be a bonus.

im under the impression less watts is bad, even tho i wont play it really loud, just in my experiance ive never heard an electric sound good on a practise amp.

im using a mates squier practise amp' date=' its about 10watts, doesnt sound good. [/quote']

Almost anything will sound better than the little fender amp.

im under the impression less watts is bad' date=' even tho i wont play it really loud, just in my experiance ive never heard an electric sound good on a practise amp.[/quote']

A 5-10 watt tube amp is as loud as a higher rated solid state amp at like 30 watts and in my opinion is a better amp to build upon by adding pedals.

For the same money, this looks cool... Vox AC4TV 1x10 Tube Amp I might just go check that out today myself. Not that I really need another amp.

that epiphone 5w does look interesting, but im wondering about what sound you can get out of it.i see you turn up volume for more distortion? i generally dont like the average bluesey sound you can get out of amps, unless i was gonna play johnny b goode.i think thats why that vox 30w appeals to me, i saw a stagg 40w for 79quid but sounds too cheap for 40w to be any good.

Is it just for home use or gigging? No need for 30w at home, an overdriven 10w tube amp would give better tone.

I tried the Vox but found it very "un-user friendly" in terms of switching between sounds, even with the very expensive foot controller. Loads of great sounds in there but not easy to navigate between them quickly. It would be good for home / studio but limited for live work; in fact I've never seen anyone use one live.

any recommended 10w tube amps? i dont want to spend too much cos im poor after buying guitar lol. but something must be better than this 10w squier.

While it's not a 10w the Fender Super Champ XD is a really nice sounding amp, of course you'd need to purchase a stomp box for good distortion but other than that it provides some great clean tones that are unmatched from similar amps. It sounds big for its size as well and it is a hybrid amp so it's tube driven.

Archived