Gibson Brands Forums

Micro Cube vs. Vox DA5 vs. Fender G-Dec Jr.

Am considering purchasing one of the above for a family room/living room amp. Opinions please. Tone-wise, versatility?Have yet to demo any of them. Thought I'd get suggestions here first.

I have the micro cube..

I like it very much.

It gives great clean.. jc 120 clean. and that's a nice one to put a pedal in front of, too.

I use the blackface and the vox most often, but it gets over the top on two other settings very nicely, as well.

I'm really happy about the reverb and the delay.. both though limited as these types are.. sound very nice.

the other effects are not top flight, but very much useable and not crappy.

it makes a great pedal itself by the way.

for phone practice it's the bees knees.

sounds great in phones. and blends well with cd player.

I've heard very good things about the vox.. and I beleive these two are the hottest producst out their.. just a question of preference.

TWANG

Have no experience with the G-Dec but I bought a Micro Cube and swapped it for a DA-5 within

a week. I found the Cube to be more sterile than the Vox although it may be a tad more rugged.

While that's not even normally a factor if you're gonna be tossing it around a lot might be some-

thing to consider. For what they are I just found the Vox to excell beyond the Roland on all counts.

I would consider a higher-end version of the DA series if I was buying one today however. Really

thought about trading-up when the new ones were introduced. Everybody should have at least

one battery powered amp (IMHO). Great for trips, power outages, etc. I bought it to take to a class

on campus and it was great for that. Not something I use everyday but there are times when it's

just about indispensible. Lots of cosmetic choices available too!! I put the same straplocks on it as

my guitar and used one guitar strap for both. Got to where I was going, and off the DA onto the SG...

Wedgie

Huh...the DA5 can run off batteries. Been thinking of getting like a pig noise myself but this thing looks more interesting with more features. Sometimes in the evening I'll sit out by the pool and getting tired of the acoustic....don't want to run AC for my practice amp either. I'll have to check this thing out....cool.

BTW....just mainly curios, but why would you need a wattage "Power Select" on a SS amp?....or rather the purpose. I mean the beauty of SS amps is the fact that you can set the volume controls very low to begin with. As I said just curios.

I would guess the power select is for battery life. Correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but I wouldn't want to buy batteries to power it on 5W mode when I was only needing 0.5W of power.[/quote']

Duh....forgot all about the batteries. Ironic , being battery operated is what caught my attention to begin with.

Makes sense....thanks apdale.

I have a vox and a roland.....I like the roland cube the best....had it for almost 2 years without a problem. The Vox amp pooped out on me within hours of play. Its goin back to the shop along with my VT Vox 30 ad. It pooped out on me too.

Bang you musta just got the one bad apple, never heard of anybody having probs with the DA's.

As far as battery life, Six "C's" will go longer than you think in this thing. Most times volume level is

fairly low since this is mainly a small space aimed practice amp. Use the included AC adapter when-

ever possible and the batteries can last a good while. The .5 setting I found little use for but I'm

sure it has it's place. The 1.5 is what I've used most if trying to keep the volume down for others

within earshot. The full-on 5 is surprisingly loud for something the size of a lawnmower battery.

The battery compartment has a small board held in place with velcro which can be removed should

you decide to store some small items in there. Good space for a can of your favorite beverage...

As far as the Pignose is concerned, read a few reviews; I think Keith Richards might have been

it's only fan. Didn't find too many that just loved the thing when I was in the market to purchase.

Wedgie

micro cube runs on batterys, too.

the volume for that size speaker is fine.

I don't find it sterile at all.. sounds good in front of the epi vj, too.

blows pignose away for sure.

tWANG

Thank you to all who took the time to respond to my query. I decided to go with the Vox. I'd been leaning that way. I already own a Pathfinder15 and a Pathfinder10 and were pleased with them. Got the Pathfinder15 the first year they were offered in 1998 and the Pathfinder10 not long after. Some of the reasons I went with the Vox were the number of effects and amp models. Also the fact that the Vox offered the option of effects setting combining two effects such as comp/chorus, chorus/delay, flanger/reverb, tremolo/reverb, etc. A friend has a Roland Cube40 and one of his complaints is it's inability to combine effects. I didn't purchase one on site but ordered it as I really wanted the Classic Vox model with diamond grill cloth and white piping. To me Voxs are the classiest looking amps and I really don't care for the metal grill models offered currently, so it should arrive in three days or so. I'd been using the Pathfinder 10 as my family room amp, but as the only sound option it has is overdrive, I'd have to line up pedals for various effects. This should work out better. Also, the wife will be pleased with the lack of pedals strewn about the floor. Thanks again to all.

As  i have a Gdec Junior I may as well chime in .To me its OK and gives some good tones .Its loud and I used it for jam sessions .Dont like the reverb or the fact the plastic jack sockets are attached to a PC board so can loosen and and go erratic out if a lead pulls .Other than that it is OK and gives some decent tones .I like the Tweed setting and the British tone ,also the Hot Rod.It sounded good with my strat ,no quite so good with my Telecaster and useful with my 335.Its good for what it was designed for and its MPS and MIDI input is very useful.

Archived