Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone ET-270 problems

SolidShroom

So I just recently discovered that my very first guitar was an old Epiphone ET-270. I know it's one of the later ones due to the pearl inlay between the pickups but I don't know much else. It sounds pretty good despite the earsplitting hum, but my real problems with this guitar lie in tuning and intonation. I can't seem to intonate it or keep it in tune for my life. Which really is a shame because it's a great guitar otherwise. Are there any words of advice someone may be able to offer?

Tuning problems could be poor tuners. Maybe they slip, or maybe there are too many wraps of string around them. If you are a bender, too many wraps can cause detuning.

Intonation is a bridge problem. So many different things can be a problem, that it is impossible to say any thing else without more info.

I only wrap the strings two or three times, so I'm just assuming it's the tuners since this was an entry level guitar back in the '70s anyway. As for the bridge, what more info do you need? I don't have any good pictures but I can tell you that it's got a Jaguar-esque bridge.

It could be a mix of at least 3 different things. The tuners can be the trouble with staying in tune, but it could also be the nut binding the strings, or the bridge binding them as well....or a combo of all 3 since it is an older guitar.

Next time you restring it use a little pencil lead in the slots of the nut and on the saddles in the bridge and see if that helps with it staying in tune. The tuners may be just worn out as well, those tuners back then were not the best to begin with. The nut and bridge could also be the problem with the intonation.

Capt

Archived