Gibson Brands Forums

Ultra fans. Time to show your guitars

Gordy01

Every one else seems to be doin' it! Show your Ultra!

Or is Big Norm the only other one...

Here's my Ultra 2

Notice the black strip at the base of the neck.

That's the Nanomag pickup. Great acoustic like shimmering sounds.

LesPaulBody.jpg

Pre knob change

guitarpics005.jpg

LesPaulHead.jpg

Or is Big Norm the only other one...

Here's my Ultra 2

Notice the black strip at the base of the neck.

That's the Nanomag pickup. Great acoustic like shimmering sounds.

I had one' date=' does that count:

[center']epi%20ultra%20II%20full.jpg[/center]

OK, here's another shot of the faded cherry Ultra ll, but without the pickguard.

epilpimg.jpg

I did not buy the Ultra ll because the "acoustic" pickup sounds like an acoustic guitar, but because the nanomag single coil pickup has much of the quality of a strat single coil. I would venture to say the U2 can sound more like a Strat than a fat Strat can sound like an LP. I have alwys been a Gibson/Epi kind of guy but I often want the Strat sound if I am trying to jam to SRV or something that needs a more acoustic quality (and I have to admit- surfverb). With the U2 I don't have to reach for my Squire Standard Strat, which is hard anyway because I keep it 3000 miles from here (but not because I hate it that much). I know LP purists will not consider the U2 a "real" LP because of its innovations but it does give the owner a huge range of tones which can be great for those who have not locked in on a single tone they want or do not want to own or carry around multiple guitars.

With my Dot and my Blues Jr. I'm completely out of gas. Really. (For now.)

Well if every else went and jumped off a bridge' date=' would you?? :- Seriously tho - those are beautiful! Nice pics! Grant I think I like your yard better than the guitar . . . now [i']that's [/i]a pool to relax in :-k

I did not buy the Ultra ll because the "acoustic" pickup sounds like an acoustic guitar, but because the nanomag single coil pickup has much of the quality of a strat single coil. I would venture to say the U2 can sound more like a Strat than a fat Strat can sound like an LP.

I agree with you. The sound I get from the Nanomag is really different and unique.

More like a Strat than an acoustic.

I just came across the "My Les Paul" forum, Epiphone:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/

from another thread here and there are a lot of threads regarding the Ultra ll. I guess I misspoke calling the Nanomag a single coil. One of the posters says it is a humbucker with 3 tiny magnets. Another called it a piezzo but I thought that was not the case. Anyway I think it is a useful addition to the sonic range of the guitar, much better than the acoustic modeling of the Strat VG which does not add as much range as the Nano does to the Ultra ll.

Archived