Gibson Brands Forums

Re-Stringing with Flatwound Strings

Fadedepi

To All,

I have a question about putting Electric Flatwounds on my EJ-160E acoustic. As we know flatwounds are wrapped with silk above the ball end. My question is, when the string is installed, the silk wrap wants to extend over the bridge saddle. The string still sounds good when picked, but, I'm wondering rather that's ok or should I trim the silk back so it won't go over the bridge saddle? #-o

Thanks in adavance, Faded...

The ball end of the string should be making contact with the underside of the guitar's top. When you insert the string into its hole, keep the ball end just below the end of the pin. Keep a finger on the head of the pin after you insert into the hole on the bridge, and pull up on the string gently. The pin and ball end should lock into place.

The silk wrap may extend over the wooden bridge, no problem, but should not touch the saddle.

Red 333

Thanks Red,

I should have mentioned these are electric, not acoustic strings. The string break between saddle and the bridge pins is very short. About 3/8" at low E string. Not much room. I will have to trim the silk wraping back to keep it from overlapping the saddle.

Archived