Gibson Brands Forums

"Epiphone Guitar Rig"

What's this "Guitar Rig" that Epi are all excited about (and giving away)?

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1500

Is it Epi's take on a TonePort?

Hi,

Native Instruments Guitar Rig Mobile includes a high-quality 1/4" (guitar cable) to USB interface that allows you to connect your guitar to your computer. It also includes software that models many different guitar amplifiers. You can add a variety of effects, it has a tuner, metronome and a recorder. It's intended for in-home use and perfect for environments where you need to play or practice through headphones or at lower volumes. Great for hotel rooms. However, you can use the audio output of your computer going to an external sound system or amplifier and take advantage of it's computer-based modeling and effects.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Epiphone

Can something that is made strictly for in-house or solo practice use really be considered a "rig"?

I've always considered a "rig" to be the higer end equipment you use for gigging and rehearsal.

I dont go around calling my 15 watt Fender Frontman a rig.

RobinTheHood wrote:

"I don't go around calling my 15 watt Fender Frontman a rig"

I fell off my chair laughing, woke up wifey, ooohhhdooody I is in the dawghous now!!!

I suppose my Marshall MS-2 could be a "rig" as well then...

Looks and sounds more like a novel paperweight though.

Never thought about it, but I might need a roadie to tote the thing now, seeing as how

I actually own a "Marshall Rig"

Wedgie

I dont know. Maybe they should call it the Mini-Rig, Or the Pocket Rig or something. whatever

Either way, to spend $500+ for a guitar that probably doesnt come with a set-up or a case, just to get a little box with a couple of holes and some blinking lights with a grossly inflated price of $120 just seems ludicrous to me.

For the same effect' date=' get one of these:

Behringer UCG102 Guitar to USB Interface

[img']http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/fit,400by400/quality,85/brand,zzounds/UCG102_TOP_PERS-5e6a0e92cd00075d9f6869c4ef0abd52.jpg[/img]

Now, thats something I would plug into.

First of all, its less than half the price - AND, its made by a well known company.

As well as, its smaller and way more ergonomic. Practical!

I may actually look into purchasing one of those. Thanks!

Similarly, I have a device almost exactly like that with RCA jacks instead of 1/4" - For digitizing albums and cassettes.

I bought it over three years ago for $80, but it came with 25 feet of high quality gold-tipped RCA cable.

Personally I think it's a great offer.

There are, however, two things here that I am not clear on:

1) The $500 guitar purchase...is that a $500 actual sale price (+/- any sales/consumption tax?) or is that a $500 MSRP?

2) I checked out the Guitar Rig site (horribly done btw - woe to folks with slow internet connections - ALL the multimedia stuff should've been an option) and it was high on fluff but lacked any real information such as answering any platform question (is it self-contained software on the USB drive? Is it a Windows ONLY app? Is there a Mac version? A Linux version? Are there planned upgrades or expansions?

For me it would be a minor incentive to buy yet another Epiphone. However, without useful information this incentive becomes a self-defeating gimmick. The days of non-thinking consumers with high headroom credit cards are over. Perhaps the marketing depts. at Epi and especially Guitar Rig might want to take time out for a reality check before throwing together offers without specs and adequately defined terms and conditions. Like many others, I'm a bit more cautious on how I part with my hard-earned dollars (that seem to buy less and less anyway) than I was 6 months ago.

Ah yes, Native Instruments. A software company that is trying to get into the hardware market.

The only things they are known for is Traktor and pre-made loops.

Here are some questions:

- Is the interface compatible with other software?

- Is the software compatible with other interfaces? - or stand alone, even?

- What format does it record in? WAV? ...or does NI have a proprietary file extension?

- How hard is it to use with other thrid-party programs?

- Is it stable?

I'll take the set-up and case.

...and "LE" usually translates to "less enclosed", meaning its a chopped version of the real software.

Ah yes' date=' Native Instruments. A software company that is trying to get into the hardware market.

The only things they are known for is Traktor and pre-made loops.

Here are some questions:

- Is the interface compatible with other software?

- Is the software compatible with other interfaces? - or stand alone, even?

- What format does it record in? WAV? ...or does NI have a proprietary file extension?

- How hard is it to use with other thrid-party programs?

- Is it stable?

I'll take the set-up and case.

...and "LE" usually translates to "less enclosed", meaning its a chopped version of the real software.[/quote']

Actually Guitar Rig has been around for some time now (it's up to release 3) and is a major player in the software based amp emulation market along with IK Multimedia (Amplitube and it's various versions)

The software works with a fair number of DAW packages such as Cubase.

In effect it's no different to the DSP modelling in a lot of amps or FX units - other than the fact that it sits on your computer.

You are making it very hard for me to hate this thing. Although, I still feel the price is over-inflated.

My concerns would be, Since this is a software company, most of the cost is probably in the software, and not the hardware. I'm skeptical of it's reliability. And on top of that, what do you get? An LE version of the software!

I take issue with LE software. I've ran into many cases where you could only save in a proprietary format with LE...or some very important features have been turned off, so that you HAVE to buy the upgrade to do anything worthwhile.

I dont know if this is the case, but SOMETHING is going to be missing from this software without and upgrade. I would only hope that it is something superflous, than something critical. It may be "free", but they still want your money.

This would be more of a bonus for that $500 guitar you were already planning to purchase.

As an incentive to spend more money on a chinese guitar in which price nowhere reflects quality, I say, boo on you, Epiphone.

Archived