Gibson Brands Forums

Colour choice

pohatu771

Ladies and gentlemen, I am at a point where I absolutely have to pick a colour for my Spirit. The wood-working is done, the sanding is done, all that's left is to tape and spray. I even have tuners already.

I've done the filling, so it will become a Les Paul Special at this point. I'm considering buying another Spirit (an Epiphone, if I could find it) that's not modified, but that's not for a while... and there are others that are higher on my list.

The choices are...

Vintage Amber

Cherry Red

Tobacco Brown

Red Mahogany

Black

Samples are here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Colors,_tints,_and_stains/2/ColorTone_Aerosol_Guitar_Lacquer/Pictures.html#details

I don't really want to do a brown... and if I do black, the pickguard is going to be a different colour. Otherwise, black.

Here's a preview of the guitar... I took it with my phone, I didn't plan on doing photos. The big brown clamp won't be in the final product.

0511091801.jpg

The big brown clamp won't be in the final product.

Oh darn! I'm sure it would add a lot of tone and sustain!

Seriously though, Cherry would be my choice. That or TV Yellow, but since that's not on your list I'ma say Cherry.

Are any of those choices transparent? If so, I'd probably go with amber or maybe one of the reds, if the grain is decent (hard to see in the pic). Otherwise black. Don't like brown guitars myself, they remind me of furniture.

They're transparent... depending on how much I use. Stew-Mac's pictures show plenty of mahogany grain.

The wood is just plain... honestly, though, I can't tell what it is. I've heard that they were made from maple and mahogany, but the grain doesn't show me (and I'm hardly a wood expert) one or the other. I don't have any better pictures, and I can't get any - I don't have a work space here, so I have to go to my grandparents' house.

+11 with K.E.B. the grain isn't in need of highlighting...have you considered anything

non-traditional? It's seems to be a nice unusuall piece that wants to scream "lookatme-

lookatme-lookatme"... pearl chartreuse maybe? metallic bright orange?

Wedgie

If youwant to see what the wood grain will look like wipe either water or mineral spirits over the body. Either one will dry and until it does it will give you a good idea of what the grain will look like under a finish. This will also lightly raise the fuzzies so you will have to do a final sanding.

From the what I can see of the picture the grain looks fairly plain. This would be a fine candidate for a burst, an opaque color or a unique pattern in contrasting colors. Personally I like a wine red in opaque or translucent. If strictly opaque I like a basic white or black.

Here's another thought... what would y'all think of these colours:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Colors,_tints,_and_stains/1/ColorTone_Concentrated_Liquid_Stain/Pictures.html#details

I'm quite partial to blue... the only guitar I want that I want in blue is the Gibson ES-330, which is well out of my price range for quite a while. That means I won't have a duplicate. A blue Les Paul Special, with a black/white/black pickguard, would be quite the guitar, I think.

Here's another thought... what would y'all think of these colours:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Colors' date='_tints,_and_stains/1/ColorTone_Concentrated_Liquid_Stain/Pictures.html#details

I'm quite partial to blue... the only guitar I want that I want in blue is the Gibson ES-330, which is well out of my price range for quite a while. That means I won't have a duplicate. A blue Les Paul Special, with a black/white/black pickguard, would be quite the guitar, I think.[/quote']

BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE

Archived