Gibson Brands Forums

Government Rebate Checks

davidbg63

Here is my question....

With all the talk on the news recently about government rebate checks coming in

the next few months to kick-start the economy, who actually has already thought about buying

a new gibson with this found cash??? (my hand is raised)=D>

Yea I'm thinking J-45 or SWD 12 string or SWD 6 string....You may have GAS if the government makes this

type of announcement and the first thing that pops in your mind is a new guitar! (HAHA) I may need to request

a bigger check!

The SWD 12 string is really nice. I have one and it's my favorite 12 string.

I didn't think about the buying american made guitars, would rather spend on that than

anything else. It does depend on the news cast but I want to say CNN was saying $600. per

couple and an additional $300. per child. I'll believe it whan I see it in the mailbox.

I listened to CNN too and what I heard was the $600 per couple (or $300 per person) was for people having minimal income. They used the figure of less than $3000 adjusted gross income. Over $3000 AGI, up to $150,000 per couple ($75,000 per person) and it was going to be the $600 per person figure + $300 per child. Who knows until you actually see the check???? And don't forget, that money will probably also be taxable income next year. At least that's how it was the last time they had a tax rebate.

Guest NattyBumppo
I'm going to use my rebate for a down payment on a full tank of gas! ](*' date=') [/quote']

Yup, and I'm stashing it away to pay for heating oil! Every time the oil man pulls into my drive BAM, $700 smackers. This time of year he shows up every 5 weeks :D . Another guitar isn't even a consideration.

If the timeline is right I will write a check off the home improvement account to pay income tax and then pay myself back with the rebate check (or partially anyway). As far as regular income goes I should be okay but there's over $8K in instrument repair money that I will need to pay Social Security and income tax on. I can deduct about $1400 because of the instruments I donated to that elementary school but other than that I'll be sweating April 15.... of course I haven't actually put pen to paper yet..... but there won't be any new Gibsons as a result of GWB's kickback.... sorry Henry.

Remember' date=' it's good for the economy, and that's why we're getting the money back. Spending that money on an American product is exactly what we should all be doing! (I don't suppose I can claim my guitars as children, huh?)[/quote']

So who's more likely to spend the money on a Gibson guitar instead of more foreign oil? Those over the income cap or those under? The more I think about it, the more I visualize all these checks winding up boosting other economies. BTW, currently the Senate version has the cap at $300,000 per couple.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it's almost a done deal. I see where the Senate approved $600 per individual/$1200 per couple, plus $300 for each child. And Bush says he'll sign it as soon as it hits his desk.

That should almost buy a new Gibson. Of course, the more fertile you've been, the nicer the Gibson you can get. :-k/

Hmmmm, I haven't heard that. I'm not too sure what that even means. What if you don't get a future refund? Does that mean you will end up having to pay the "advance" back? That doesn't sound right.

I just read the story on the CNN website and there's no mention of that. They also call it a "rebate" which by definition would mean it's giving something back that you've already paid, I would think.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/08/economic.stimulus/index.html

Archived