Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone hummingbird artist...

I never really understood the point of the Artist model... it's not really a Hummingbird if there's no bird' date=' is it?

I don't know very much about the model, though, or what makes it different than, say, a J-50.[/quote']

I don't know how the Epiphone version is built, but the Gibson Hummingbird Artist differs significantly from the other Gibson Hummingbirds.

First, while the body is sqaure shouldered, its dimesnsions are more similar to the round shouldered models. The shoulders and waist are not as wide. It also has the Advanced Jumbo's wide-set x bracing.

It shares the short scale and some cosmetics (ebony board, split parellogram inlays) of the Hummingbird. The finish approximates the color some vintage Hummingbirds have faded to.

Red 333

I don't know how the Epiphone version is built' date=' but the Gibson Hummingbird Artist differs significantly from the other Gibson Hummingbirds.

First, while the body is sqaure shouldered, its dimesnsions are more similar to the round shouldered models. The shoulders and waist are not as wide. It also has the Advanced Jumbo's wide-set x bracing.

It shares the short scale and some cosmetics (ebony board, split parellogram inlays) of the Hummingbird. The finish approximates the color some vintage Hummingbirds have faded to.

Red 333[/quote']

Hey Red I own one.

It is a square shoulder, but is the identical body to the Songwriter or Dove Artist, out a ways back.

It is not as square as a regular HB or Dove and has a more pinched waist. Has a nice midrange tone to it and very balanced in the highs and lows.

It is a polite guitar, none of the punch of a 45. I picked the HB Artrtist at the time over the HB. I like the orange burst and smaller pickguard. I may be one of the few but the HB is too ornate for me. I like the simple HB Artist and the gold hardware.

I never really understood the point of the Artist model... it's not really a Hummingbird if there's no bird' date=' is it?

I don't know very much about the model, though, or what makes it different than, say, a J-50.[/quote']

I owned a 70s square shoulder J50 and that was much like the current Sheryl Crow model. The square shoulder J50s were short scale while the Epiphone stock line stuff minus a few things are 25.5".

I just checked the link and this is something different than the other HB Artist posted back a bit available from England?

This is not an Epiphone copy of the Gibson HB Artist this is just a plain Epiphone HB. Plus I agree the big pickguard needs to go.

Hey Red I own one.

Nice. I've always thought they were handsome' date=' but haven't come across one in a store to play. Glad you like yours.

It is a square shoulder, but is the identical body to the Songwriter...

That's right. Ren Fergeson's own design. Lots of people seem top love the Songwriter series, too.

Red 333

I like them. Sometimes I feel like the Hummingbird is a bit OTT and the Dove a little to effeminate. You almost feel like you have to wear a long hippy robe and rip of donovan ripping off dylan to pull of the hummingbird.

That's right. Ren Fergeson's own design. Lots of people seem top love the Songwriter series' date=' too.

Red 333[/quote']

One of my friends bought a Songwriter right after I got my HB Artist. It was several hundred less at the time now they seem to be the same price.

Anyway though the bodies and the wood are identical the tone is totally different. His has a rich full booming bass much like my other friends Sheryl Crow.

My Artist by comparison is very polite sounding, but in a good way.

I like them. Sometimes I feel like the Hummingbird is a bit OTT and the Dove a little to effeminate. You almost feel like you have to wear a long hippy robe and rip of donovan ripping off dylan to pull of the hummingbird.

I kind of like simple when it comes to acoustics. I like the colors of the Dove but could do without the pickguard and ornate bridge design.

Tough Keith played his HB through the 60s and is another of my idols I just could not pull the trigger when I saw the HB Artist on the wall at GC next to the HB's.

Archived