Gibson Brands Forums

Reccommend me a good guitar polish/wax

Swoop

I'd really like to give my Les Paul Custom a good polish. The Ebony finish is a bit faded and I'd like to buff a few minor marks and scratches out if I can. I normally just use a Martin 'spray and wipe away' kind of polish to keep my guitars clean from day to day, but I was wondering if anyone would be able to reccommend me a good polishing cream or wax that I can use from time to time to protect the finish, restore a bit of shine, and that's not too harsh or anything on the finish? I thought maybe some Dunlop Cream of Carnuba wax might do the trick. Anyone used that? I really want the finish to look good again if I'm going to go to the trouble of replacing some of the gold hardware.

Personally I just wipe my guitars down with a piece of cheese cloth spritzed with a bit of distilled water.

I do know folks who swear by Maguires #9 car polish for removing small scratches and what have you from an electric guitar surface. Mind you though, this is just hearsay.

Yes, that's what I do for general cleaning, just wipe it with a cloth, and maybe a little bit of polish. But I'm hoping to restore some shine to the LP, and buff out some marks, and just use the polish occassionally when it's necessary to do so. I don't want to use it as the be all and end all method of cleaning my guitars from day to day, just to keep them looking shiny!

Try Dr, Duck's Axwax and string lube,,its great and you use it on the WHOLE guitar,,body neck ,,fingerbaord,,,hardware,pickguard ,,you name it . It goes a long way too,one bottle has lasted me over a year and i've got a FEW guitars.

MY Noisemakers:

Epiphone 2008 Sg Custom Prophecy GX

Epiphone 2003 Korina G-400 Sg

Epiphone 1998 Korina Explorer

Epiphone 1998 Korina Flying V

BC Rich 1981 Maple Mockingbird Handmade

Ibanez 1976 Stratocaster

Gibson 1968 Les Paul Custom

Charvel Fretless Bass

Washburn Lyon P bass

Guild Madiera P-600 Jumbo Acoustic

Applause A-25 Acoustic

Carlo Robelli 5 string Banjo

Carlo Robelli Electric Violin

Kay Electric Mandolin

Lignatone Mandolin

Midiman Radium Keyboard

2 Marshall JTM-612 60 watt 1 12 Combos

I use "Mother's California Gold" on all my guitars. It looks beautiful, and smells great too! I've used guitar polishes but they strip off the wax and leave alot of fingerprints. I've never had a problem with poly finishes. I don't own any nitro finshed guitars so I'm not worried about the wood breathing. Mother's is great on the hardware as well.

Try Dr' date=' Duck's Axwax and string lube,,its great and you use it on the WHOLE guitar,,body neck ,,fingerbaord,,,hardware,pickguard ,,you name it . It goes a long way too,one bottle has lasted me over a year and i've got a FEW guitars.

[/quote']

Dr. Duck's FTW! cheap and great. acts as a string lube too!

Personally I just wipe my guitars down with a piece of cheese cloth spritzed with a bit of distilled water.

I do know folks who swear by Maguires #9 car polish for removing small scratches and what have you from an electric guitar surface. Mind you though' date=' this is just hearsay.[/quote']

I would keep water far away from my guitars.

Archived