Gibson Brands Forums

First real gig with Vj tonight!

Tonight im takin my marshall modded Vj out for its first gig. Ive played it at church for about 100 or so and in front of groups of friends but never for a real crowd. The most people ive played in front of was last spring a friend and i played wonderful tonight for about 900 people in our schools talent show(but i played acoustic and he played piano).

Tonight is bacaloureate(a service for the graduates) and my churches band is playin for it. We're playing a four song set and the auditorioum seats about 1000 and i dont know how many will be there. Im playing my PRS SE with two P90s into my Marshallized jr that has most of the marshall values in it. My volume is at about 11-1130 tone at about 2:00 and my switches are set R6=100k C3=in C4=1uF. I plug into a boss noise suppresor and a hombrew germania treble boost.

And my amp sounds AMAZING!!!

so i cant wait to play it for areal crowd tonight!

Have fun with that. I'm guessing you're going to quickly find out how inadequate 5 watts can be for a live band setting, but hopefully, it'll be mic'd up, and you can toss some of it into the monitors.

Why do you need a noise suppressor. btw?

It went really good, and i need the noise suprressor because in certain rooms the p90s hum kinda bad.

And i have and attenuator and it was up about halfway the amp was at about 11:00

Man it sounded great though! about 400 or 500 people.

I got some compliments from some fellow guitar players and it was awesome

i need the noise suprressor because in certain rooms the p90s hum kinda bad.

Guitar volume can cure that between-song P-90 hum.

And i have and attenuator and it was up about halfway the amp was at about 11:00

So, you ran a 5 watt amp at half output for a crowd of 400-500 people? You've obviously got a mighty peaceful drummer.

I miked it but i dont think they had that very loud. it sounded like it was mostly amp.

and we dont have a soft handed drummer... the school wouldnt let us use their drum set so we had to use the churches electric drums. and when i jam with a buddy of mine on a real drum set i can keep up without the attenuator except when he gets a little too excited with his double bass

the school wouldnt let us use their drum set so we had to use the churches electric drums.

That makes sense. An aggressive drummer on acoustic drums can definitely bury 5 watts with no trouble at all.

i can keep up without the attenuator except when he gets a little too excited with his double bass

That, and the snare, and the toms, and the cymbals! Before I octal modded mine, I gigged it as a Marshallized vjr with upgraded OT a few times, and couldn't hear anything out of the cabinet. All I heard was what I had in the monitors.

Sounds like your gig went well, so that's cool. Congrats!

HE doesnt realy bury my amp but it could be louder for sure.

When we jam its a room barely big enough to move in and my friend who plays bass that jams with us plays through a 1x18" and a 1x"12 at the same time and my 5w marshallized jr and 1x12" cab can keep up but is buried a little bit but still cuts through enough.

and most people talk about a heavy handed drummer but he is a heavy footed drummer ha.

He plays at a normal level but the kick drum will knock you out!

Well, theoretically, a 5 watt amp is half as loud as a 50 watter. He's at half volume on the 5 watter, so he is about as loud as 1/4 power on a 25 watter . Maybe that math is theroetically close. What the heck, in the real world, it worked, didn't it?

The thing you have to worry about when you mic an amp is how it sounds through the PA. I always walk out on the floor with my wireless during sound check to see. Sometimes it sounds good and sometimes I have to go work with the soundman to tweak it. It always sounds different but still good. It's hard to get that "amp in your face" sound through a mic and a totally different PA speaker setup with other stuff fed through the chain.

The other day I walked to the back of the room during sound check at church and did a check from about 150' away. I was surprised at the fullness that the combination of my amp and the mic'ed sound through an SM57 made when combined. I played a few chords and licks and the guys on stage looked around to see where the heck Dave was. The hard part about walking through the crowd and playing is the delay that you get. You see someone strum a chord and then you hear the sound. You also hear a slight delay when you play. You can't look at them and play...it's confusing. We've all watched a guy swing a hammer and then heard the sound a fraction of a second later.

Archived