Gibson Brands Forums

OK, got the money, dont know witch one.

marcelo94

I had a Les Paul Special for about a month when I first started a band and recorded some stuff with it and used it for some gigs before selling it so I could afford to see my new girlfriend at the time. I loved it and have wanted another one ever since but never got round to it. I wonder how different the newer Special II is.

I've never been a big fan of the SG look but they always seem to play just as well as anything else and a great sound! We have a Gibson Faded SG in the house with a nice big fat neck.

Dude, we can't make these decisions for you! This is like asking us to pick out your girlfriend for you. Perhaps even MORE personal... Look inward, man. Play the guitars (or ones like them) and look online to decide what finishes you like. Fly, little bird, fly! Cheers.

Yeah choose what you like dude. I had a plus top les paul std that was lovely but i also loved the look of the plain tops, not so in your face fancy looking with the same lovely colour. I still think the honeyburst is the best colour tho. Eva that or custom in white with gold hardwear for show offs. Beautiful guitar imo.

I went to the shop choose out the colours i liked then played them. I liked the honeyburst and alpine white custom but at the time i couldnt afford the custom and they sounded the same to me and felt the same so it was a no brainer, cheaper one for me!

ok' date=' les paul it is, now the most important detail. Which finish?[/quote']

Let IT pick you!

I dreamed of a VSB Lester for years. Then in '03 an outstanding honeyburst Elite played better than any LP I had ever touched, and I knew I had been chosen. And every VSB since then has seemed underwhelming to me.

One final tip -- buy the BEST quality you can afford -- even if it means you have to save 6-12 months longer. You will likely be sorry if you cheap-out, but you will never be sorry for being patient. Happy hunting.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Question: Why the LP Special and not the Standard? Surely the set neck of the Standard is much more desireable than the bolt neck Special? Is it simply a question of price? Or am I missing something special about the... Special?

Speaking from experience I would choose the Les Paul Standard. I owned a Gibson SG in cherry red back in the 70's and mine lacked sustain. It sounded wonderful, but didn't have the sustain of a Strat or Les Paul. I wouldn't buy the LP Special if I could afford the standard.

Others comment about the SG having good sustain, but that wasn't my experience. OTOH, the SG has a wide fingerboard and is great for slide work and if you have stubby fingertips, it can be a great feeling neck to play.

One final tip -- buy the BEST quality you can afford -- even if it means you have to save 6-12 months longer. You will likely be sorry if you cheap-out' date=' but you will never be sorry for being patient. Happy hunting. [/quote']

When my son started playing guitar and joined a band, I bought him a nice cherry Epi SG Jr. and a Squier Strat. He actually preferred the SG. It felt and played kinda like a Gibson, but obviously the uncovered pups weren't the greatest. They kept on dropping down into the cavity - something was wrong with the mounting system. The SG finally met it's end after some head/neck damage.:- Although it was a bolt-on neck, we didn't want to bother replacing it. My son bought an Epi Korina Flying V, which he gigged with for quite a while. We then found an incredible used Epi Elitist '61 Reissue SG for $600, so he traded in the V and I made up the difference. The Elitist was hanging next to an almost identical Gibson SG Faded, selling for close to $1000 (around the new price of the Elitist). IMHO, the fit and finish of the Epi Elitist was nicer than the Gibson, which actually felt "cheaper". The Elitist was a keeper :D

Concerning Les Paul, I understand that at the time, he was in the middle of an acrimonious divorce from Mary Ford. He took his name off the SG and anything else he could think of, so that Mary couldn't claim rights to it as part of a settlement 8-[

I had a Les Paul Special for about a month when I first started a band and recorded some stuff with it and used it for some gigs before selling it so I could afford to see my new girlfriend at the time. I loved it and have wanted another one ever since but never got round to it. I wonder how different the newer Special II is.

Good God, man! You sold your guitar to entertain some CHICK??? :-k

And where is she now?

We live together now! haha... although she's at her parents' in England at the moment while I finish my final exams in peace. I also sold a Stagg flying V to help pay for my flight.

Back then it was just a reckless decision to see some chick but you never know how these things work out...

We live together now! haha... although she's at her parents' in England at the moment while I finish my final exams in peace. I also sold a Stagg flying V to help pay for my flight.

Back then it was just a reckless decision to see some chick but you never know how these things work out...

I guess that worked out, then.

What the heck is Stagg? :-k

That's not the REAL reason he wanted his name removed.

That's just what I read and always heard.

Wikipedia:

"The guitar was advertised as having the "fastest neck in the world", due to its slender neck profile and virtually non-existent heel. The newly-designed Les Paul was popular but Les Paul, whose endorsment was initially carried over from the previous version, did not like the new design and asked to have his name removed from it. Gibson renamed the model the "SG" which was short for "solid guitar". Even though Les Paul's name was officially removed from the model in 1961, the plastic Les Paul nameplates (positioned between the rhythm pickup and fingerboard) were in abundance in the Gibson factory and SG models having these nameplates were built and sold by Gibson up to the end of 1963"

Archived