Gibson Brands Forums

Dot pots and caps upgrade

Tom99SS

Well after having my Dot for roughly 3 months I decided to upgrade the pots to Alpha 500k audio in all 4 positions (originally had 500k linear for volume and 500k audio for tone), Sprague Vitamin Q's (.010 in neck and .022 in bridge) along with 50's wiring and putting the caps inbetween the volume and tone pots.

Now, I noticed with the stock caps and pots along with factory wiring that the pickups sounded a little muffled. Also, when turning the volume pots down you also lost some of the treble (blasted modern wiring).

I went with the Alpha pots as I did not want to enlarge the holes for the pots. The Alphas all measured +/- 7% or less. Not bad.

After putting it all back togther and testing it out I am very pleased with the results. Pickups are clearer and more defined (no more muffled sound). When rolling down the volume pots the treble is retained.

Now I had the .022 Vitamn Q cap already. So, $11.00 for the 4 Alpha pots and $10 for the .010 Vitamin Q cap. For $21 plus shipping the guitar sounds much better and there is no need to replace the pickups so far. :-)

So to all, before swapping pickups try the inexpensive things first. You maybe surprised.

I did the 50's wiring to my Les Paul and really liked the results. That is the reason I switched the Dot to 50's wiring. I would recommend this minor and simple (maybe not simple when having to go through the F-holes) mod to all that feel their pickups sound muffled. Plus the ability to retain the highs/treble when rolling down the volume is a major plus to me.

Well after having my Dot for roughly 3 months I decided to upgrade the pots to Alpha 500k audio in all 4 positions (originally had 500k linear for volume and 500k audio for tone)' date=' Sprague Vitamin Q's (.010 in neck and .022 in bridge) along with 50's wiring and putting the caps inbetween the volume and tone pots.

Now, I noticed with the stock caps and pots along with factory wiring that the pickups sounded a little muffled. Also, when turning the volume pots down you also lost some of the treble (blasted modern wiring).

I went with the Alpha pots as I did not want to enlarge the holes for the pots. The Alphas all measured +/- 7% or less. Not bad.

After putting it all back togther and testing it out I am very pleased with the results. Pickups are clearer and more defined (no more muffled sound). When rolling down the volume pots the treble is retained.

Now I had the .022 Vitamn Q cap already. So, $11.00 for the 4 Alpha pots and $10 for the .010 Vitamin Q cap. For $21 plus shipping the guitar sounds much better and there is no need to replace the pickups so far. :-)

So to all, before swapping pickups try the inexpensive things first. You maybe surprised. [/quote']

I agree with your changes. Could you advise where did you order the .10 vit q cap. I have been looking around to no avail.

I just got some VQ spragues in. Haven't used them in anything yet.

I can order some more.

I rewired, as most know, my sheri, and the dot studio, and was very happy in both cases.

I used Sprague Orange drops, so I'm interested in hearing the VQs.

I love the better smoother feel and fine tuning you get with good electronics in these epis.

TWANG

Archived