Gibson Brands Forums

String gauge for less pauls?

mrjones200x

Hey guys just wondered what size strings you lot use on your les pauls. Sorry it a very general sizing option but thats it.

I have tried a few sizes, 9's were to thin for me and could hear the difference, 11's were real nice for tone but couldnt bend to much as fingers started getting sore so went with 10's and thats were i am now.

Might run another pole for different style of guitars, ones with floyd roses, semi hollow, archtops, strat type?

Let me know :-

I use a wierd setup on my kramer which has a floyd i use a 3 strings from a set of 9's for the treble strings and the 3 low strings are from a set of 11's. find it gives a great sound for van halen stuff as he played mainly rhythem and lead together so you grt the best of both worlds. Great string bending made easy by thinner strings and fat bass crunch with palm muted riffs and so on.

Cheers

9's are too light for me. I picked 10's. I used to play real heavy gauge. 12's if I remember. I went from acoustic, to electric. The acoustic I learned on was an old Harmony with strings like an inch off the fretboard! I thought that was normal. So I learned like that. My fret fingers are still harder than my strum fingers on the tips after all these years. I've learned to lighten my touch and lower the strings over the years. I do like the SRV sound though. I think he used 15's!! It's a personal preference. Good survey.

I use DR Pure Blues nickel plated strings, 10-46. I tried some heavier ones a few times, but they just didn't feel natural to me, so now I just stick with the tried and true 10s

DR Pure Blues .012-.052 w/wound 3rd (.032) on my LP. .011s on my strat.

24 hr stretch-in and these beauties stay in tune far better/longer than Ernie Bs that I used for 12 years prior.

Highly recommended "tone upgrade" for anyone looking for a 1st quality electric string.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

I have always used 10's for everything with no problems. I tried 9's on the LP for a while but always ended up breaking the high E string, so I went back to 10's. I have recently tried out 9's again, because it's easier for me to do the Byrds and Eagles style country bends. I don't play as hard as I used to, so I haven't broken any strings lately, touch wood (with a thick, glossy polyester finish).

I`m the only one who voted for mixed random. My LP Studio uses.

.07, .09, .12, .18, .24, .30.

Every guitar except my Olympic and Strats have this custom gauge set I`ve been using since the 70`s.

The Olympic and Strats use GHS Boomers .08-.38.

I don`t break strings. But it takes a few days to break the light gauge strings in, by stretching them.

9s on Strats & Tele

10s on Les Paul' date=' Dot & SG

12s on acoustics[/quote']

Something like this for me too. Sometimes 11s on archtops and 13s on acoustics and depending on whether they're roundwound or flatwound obviously would make a difference.

As heavy a guage, as you can stand! 10's would be the lightest I'd go, and that's if you

have small/normal hands or light finger strength. If you have normal to good sized hands,

and strong fingers, 11's or 12's could be "normal" for you? A lot may depend on what kind

of music you do, as well. If it's Jazz, heavier flat wounds (generally), would be the order of

the day. If it's "Blues" or "Classic Rock," with lots of bending, then possible 10's or 11's would

be more satisfying. But, only you can decide that, really.

Cheers,

CB

I'm a blues/rock bender. I like 10's on all my electrics and 12's on the acoustic.

I used to use 9's years ago, but found that tone and sustain is in the guage of the strings.

I have tried DR Pure Blues a couple of times and have a set on my Les Paul right now. When I first put them on I had to crank the bridge height up a full turn to stop the buzz. After I played them for a couple of days, I tried backing down on the bridge and went back about 3/4 down and they are fine. It's strange that the DR's had a little less tension than the D'addario 10's. Neck relief is nearly flat, just a little relief and the D'addarios like that setting with a little lower action.

'Ol Blue's got niners now, I wouldn't go any higher than 10's, cuz anything heavier than that could be used for Guywires for an antenna tower in my opinion, but that's just me.

Archived