Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton Intonation Screw Rattle

jplanet

I just got a great deal on a Sheraton II. Only problem is that the B string rattles. I've isolated the problem to the intonation screw - when I hold the screw in place with my finger, the string does not rattle.

What should I do?

- Buy a replacement screw? (don't know where to order one)

- Use thread lock glue or clear nail polish?

- Replace the bridge - with what? I'm not comfortable drilling and filing or otherwise changing the structure of the guitar or hardware, nor do I have the tools or workspace to do that properly, so this is only an option if it's something I can easily drop in.

- Call the seller and ask that he take it back and refund my money?

I just got a great deal on a Sheraton II. Only problem is that the B string rattles. I've isolated the problem to the intonation screw - when I hold the screw in place with my finger' date=' the string does not rattle.

What should I do?

- Buy a replacement screw? (don't know where to order one)

- Use thread lock glue or clear nail polish?[/quote']

Nail polish usually works OK.

- Replace the bridge - with what? I'm not comfortable drilling and filing or otherwise changing the structure of the guitar or hardware' date=' nor do I have the tools or workspace to do that properly, so this is only an option if it's something I can easily drop in.[/quote']

This would be my first choice, but it depends on the guitar. The early Samick made Sheratons used an odd sized bridge, very hard to find them any more. But if it's a later model, should be no problem. Post a photo of the bridge, we'll let you know what you need.

- Call the seller and ask that he take it back and refund my money?

No way, you got a great deal, right??? This is a minor problem, it can be fixed.

I just got a great deal on a Sheraton II. Only problem is that the B string rattles. I've isolated the problem to the intonation screw - when I hold the screw in place with my finger' date=' the string does not rattle.[/quote']

jplanet; First, welcome to the Epiphone Electrics Forum. Hopefully, like many of us you'll enjoy the exchange of

information and get a chuckle out of some of the family feuds (lol!). You're not the only one who has experienced

this rattling of the bridge/saddle on your guitar. Many of us have. I also have a Sheraton II and mine does the

same thing. Sometimes it's the B string other times it may be the high E (1st string) or the G string. I guess it

depends on whatever factors affect that. It mainly does it because they are inferior grade bridges or saddles used

as opposed to the higher standard model Epiphone Elites or Gibsons. I finlly got tired of it and put an order in

for a TonePro II locking bridge. I'm having it installed this week at my local guitar shop. I'll let you know how it

turns out when I get my guitar back on Friday. Good luck with yours. BTW, if you like everything else about your

Sheraton II, then keep it and try to remedy to problem you're having. They are very nice guitars. Many of us on the

forum are proud owners.

Thanks for your reply and warm welcome, Jerry, it's very encouraging to hear that this is a minor issue, and I am looking forward to many years of enjoyment out of this guitar...I'll go get some nail polish, meanwhile if you can make any recommendations on the replacement bridge, here is a photo of the bridge:

Sheraton-bridge.jpg

I am pretty excited about this guitar - the previous owner upgraded the stock pickups to Gibson Classic 57 in the neck and 57 Classic Plus in the bridge. He also installed a handmade bone nut...it plays incredibly well, and really has everything I was looking for in a guitar...except the darned rattle! :-)

Thanks for your reply and warm welcome' date=' Jerry, it's very encouraging to hear that this is a minor issue, and I am looking forward to many years of enjoyment out of this guitar...I'll go get some nail polish, meanwhile if you can make any recommendations on the replacement bridge, here is a photo of the bridge:

[img']http://www.cantwellmedia.com/Sheraton-bridge.jpg[/img]

I am pretty excited about this guitar - the previous owner upgraded the stock pickups to Gibson Classic 57 in the neck and 57 Classic Plus in the bridge. He also installed a handmade bone nut...it plays incredibly well, and really has everything I was looking for in a guitar...except the darned rattle! :-)

No problem, you want a Gotoh GE103BG:

Gotoh_Tune-o-matic_Bridge_with_StudsBushings_Detail.jpg

Excellent quality (an upgrade from the stock hardware), and you can get them at Stew-Mac for about $27. It will fit on your existing studs.

Nice guitar, the Gibby pups are a great upgrade. Enjoy.

Thanks, Jerry! The Gotoh seems like a worthwhile upgrade for the price, especially if I don't need to drop it off at the shop. I assume I'd be starting from scratch with getting the intonation and string heights correct...mind if I stop back here for advice when it arrives?

Thanks' date=' Jerry! The Gotoh seems like a worthwhile upgrade for the price, especially if I don't need to drop it off at the shop. I assume I'd be starting from scratch with getting the intonation and string heights correct...mind if I stop back here for advice when it arrives?[/quote']

Anytime, don't hesitate to ask. Always glad to help out (if I can). You'll find a lot of knowledgeable people here, a lot of good info.

Ok, I've ordered the recommended replacement bridge and it has arrived!

So now what do I do? LOL...Can anyone refer me to a web page with instructions for newbies like me on how to replace such a bridge?

Archived