Gibson Brands Forums

Selecting the appropriate Bigsby (and associated bridge)???

Franni M

Hello again (haven't been here since Oct. when I was contemplating fitting a Bigsby to my Alleykat.)

Anyway, well understanding that this is an Epi forum... please forgive me for seeking advise about adding a Bigsby to an Eastman El Rey archtop model. Been having trouble getting advice on this topic, so I thought I'd defer to the kind Epi forum.

There are two models I'm contemplating, an ER-2 or ER-3; i.e., one with stop tail (ER-3) and the

other with a standard archtop bridge (Er-2).

The ER-3 comes with a Tone-Pros AVTII wrap around stop tail and was wondering if there

might be a Bigsby-friendly replacement bridge and which model Bigsby to use with it. Ideally, I wouldn't want to drill holes in the top of the guitar and would like keep the existing bridge location.

Also, is the bridge to neck angle a critical consideration?

The guitar's thickness is 2". I've contact Gretsch and Bigsby about the matter, but have yet to get a response.

So, anyone have any ideas?

Here's a couple of ebay links to similar ER-2 and ER-3 models I'm referring to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260356432420

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250427200426

Thanks in advance.

Franni M

I've contact Gretsch and Bigsby about the matter' date=' but have yet to get a response.[/quote']

Isn't the music industry great? [-( I would save myself a ton of trouble, spend a few extra $$'s and bring it to a good guitar tech . . .

Wow Eastman puts a beautiful finish on those guitars!

Part of doing the work yourself is knowing which parts to use... :-$ Are you going to order parts based on what 'some dude' on a forum said? =D>

Good point... but just seeking advce. I'm familiar with the various Bigsby models. Some are similar

and I had hoped to hear from someone with just a little more experience as far as matching the application to a specific guitar before purchasing a particular model.

Shucks, very little support in this realm... not Epi, but just the Bigsby topic. Why, even Sweetwater

can't tell me the model Bigsby used on the new limited edition PRS SC-J... which is a similar arrangement I'm looking at for the Eastman ER-2. I'm thinking, though, the ER-3 with stoptail

might be a more appropriate and stabile situation for the Bigs. I'd have to change out the bridge, tho, with a rocker or roller version to match the Tone-Pros AVTII post spacing.

Oh, well, I'll wait things out a little longer.

Thanks.

Part of doing the work yourself is knowing which parts to use... :-$ Are you going to order parts based on what 'some dude' on a forum said? =D>

Pretty harsh' date=' dude. We've had people get civil (and helpful) answers to questions with FAAAARRRR less merit than this.

Franni, my religion forbids me to use a Bigsby personally (I'm blues-kosher), but I can start you on the way with some research. One good place to start is StewMac.

Here is their page on Bigsbys and Bigsby bridges.

Here is another, roller-style, bridge they offer.

Here is a roller tunematic bridge from another vendor.

Here is another bridge style favored by many Bigsby-wielding Gretsch players--the bar bridge. And here is a discussion on its merits.

I could go on, but as I said, I'm not a Bigsby expert--I'm just using the Internet. You can and should do the same. Then, when others of my colleagues respond here, you will have a good context for the discussion. Cheers.

Pretty harsh' date=' dude. We've had people get civil (and helpful) answers to questions with FAAAARRRR less merit than this.

[/quote']

Thanks IM and do appreciate your kind recommends. Done the Stewmac thing... but it was in context with

a Bigs B11 which they don't sell. Hey, I took a shot at getting some answers here... but, again, I should probably find a Bigsby forum... (Did the Gretsch forum already)

BTW... I decided not to put a Bigs on my Alleykat (old post). It would have meant plugging post holes (from the examples I saw) and I already have a Wildkat, so I left her alone. Both great players, just a little different necks, believe it or not. I like the expression (for my current type of playing) the Bigs gives me and wanted another Bigs guitar. Spec-wise, the El Rey series were the only ones that fit my tastes.

Once the matter is resolved, I will report back on this and maybe provide a picture of the fitted Bigsby (probably gold to match existing hardware). I'm surprised no one else has done this to an El Rey and it figures that I'd choose to do something that getting answers to is like piddling through the haystack. Oh well, rock-on Epi forum!

Thanks again.

I would save myself a ton of trouble' date=' spend a few extra $$'s and bring it to a good guitar tech . ..[/quote']

Civil answer above rolleye0012.gif

. . . I'm not a Bigsby expert--I'm just using the Internet. You can and should do the same. Then' date=' when others of my colleagues respond here, you will have a good context for the discussion. Cheers.

[/quote']

Condescending answer above sign0012.gif

Archived