Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD! Epi SG 400

lpfan

Well after talking to a few people on craigslist about trading and dealing with people changing their minds on deals I finally tradeed my Line 6 Spider III amp. I traded for this Epiphone vintage cherry SG 400. The action is way to high, I'll have to lower it and set it up tonight. Other than that its flawless. The neck feels very smooth. Here she is:

SSPX0452.jpg

Congrats on the G400. Cherry is a fantastic finish for them. I recently acquired one finished in gloss Cherry, and I love it. It looks gorgeous, has the classic SG bevelling, before they got all vulgar looking, and sounds fantastic. It's a beautifully put together piece of kit, and I'm sure yours is too.

It is my understanding that all G400s have a bound fingerboard, however most are bound in dark, rosewood coloured wood, whilst some, like yours, are bound in white. I personally don't have any preferance. I do like a nice white binding, but I really don't feel like my G400 is missing something without it.

Now you've just gotta get your hands on that GoldTop and you'll have a very nice collection indeed!

Thanks Swoop. I just checked the serial number and according to guitardater it was from the Unsung plant in September of 2004. If I recall what I have read on this forum, aren't the Unsung guitars really well made guitars?

Well, you have the "Vintage G-400" but these are not the same as the new ones...they still make this guitar with that finish, but it is not a bound fretboard anymore. I had a 2004 just like that...I loved it, but sold it. I have missed it since.

Now, I have a 2000 Epiphone JAPAN SG in Ebony. I love it. It is the same as the Orville guitars.....it has the Gibson style headstock, and is really made well. I will be fitting a Bigsby B-70 to it soon, and putting in Seymour Duncan P-Rails.

I also have a 2005 guitar of the month "1965 SG Reissue" with the Maestro Vibrola. It is a great looking guitar, and the only thing missing is the binding on the neck. It is unbound. I will be putting some GFS pickups in it.....don't know which ones yet.

I love the SG's!

Any one looking here's the link to one on craig's list it's my oldest one's friend and yes it is brand new there might even be a little wiggle room in the price.http://racine.craigslist.org/msg/1168629724.html

Guitar Center over in Ct. has one in their used stuff that's got the neck binding in worn brown that's pretty nice. My only complaint was the inlays and binding were a little too yellow...didn't look right, good deal for 250 bucks though, played like butter.

Archived