Gibson Brands Forums

SG 400 differnece in finish (Satin vs. Gloss)

I was just at guitar sinner and they had a G-400 regular cherry gloss for 400 bucks. Then they had the worn satin finish cherry and it was 300. I played both through the same amp on the same settings and thought the satin may even be a little brighter and hotter.

So, is the only difference the finish?

Thanks.

Yes, the only difference is the finish, and some of the faded G400s have the fingerboard bound with white meterial. Some of us discussed this in another thread, all G400s have a bound fingerboard, but most are bound with dark, rosewood coloured wood that you can barely see against the rosewood fretboard, whilst some are bound in white, usually the faded models, and I think we also established that Epiphone no longer binds the fretboard in white on the G400, but it was present in years gone by.

The lack of thick gloss finish could have contributed to the hotter tone you experienced from the faded model. I've heard lots of people comment on how much better a Road Worn Fender sounds in comparison to a properly finished one, and they have attributed this to the thinner lacquer and worn finish. I personally think they're ugly, but maybe it's the same principle with the faded G400.

Either way, the G400 is a fantastic guitar. Some like the faded finish because it feels as though it's 'yours' and you've worn it in. I have a gloss finished G400 and it sounds fantastic to me. I'm sure I'd be just as happy if I had a faded model too.

I just traded for the faded G400 yesterday and its awesome. It has the white binding on the neck but its a 2004 model. I don't know when they stopped doing that. I used to want the gloss finish but after getting this guitar I am perfectly happy with it. The faded finish just really gives that vintage vibe and I think its really cool. I'd go for the faded and save 100 bucks. You could use that for a deposit on another guitar or some effects.

Thanks guys.

The reason I asked is that I was in the process of buying a guitar off of a private seller and it was a gloss. BUT, I could get a new faded one for about the same price. Anyway, with that new info the private seller dropped his price for an 07 G-400 (gloss) to 250 with the hardshell (TKL) case included. Seemed like a good deal so I got it. It is home with me and I can't wait to hook it up to my gear.

The serial number is UC0707xxxx. It has an "Epiphone Limited Edition Custom Shop" emblem on the back and seems heavier than others I have played recently.

Any thoughts?

Well the weight does go all over the place and Unsungs and DeaWons tend to be heavier than EEs. Custom shop, eh? Does it have the '66 pickguard? Or does it have a Maestro vibrato? These were 'Custom Shop' models.

G400M.jpg

RotcanX,

The pick guard is the typical one and the only reference to Custom Shop is the logo on the back of the headstock which is identical to the logo placed on the guitar case in your avatar. I will try to get a pic or two up...

"Custom Shop" I am sure is a relative term! :-

Archived