Gibson Brands Forums

So The New Epi SGs Do Not Come With White Binding?

taxman

Damn, the only reason I was going to buy a faded G-400 was because they have the white binding on the neck while the gloss ones do not. But now I am learning that newer faded SGs do not come with the white binding at all. Is this true? Are all new Epiphone SGs now being made without the white neck binding?

Damn, that really changes everything. That little touch of quality has been removed. Epi lost a sale here. It now looks like I am going to have to buy a used one. There really is no way to get a new one with the white binding? I have to search by factory now?

As discussed in a lot of other threads, all G400s have a bound headstock, but not all of them are bound in white. Most are bound in dark, rosewood coloured wood. So it's not a "loss of quality" at all, it's a loss of aesthetics. My G400 has the dark binding and I don't feel like it's missing anything at all. In fact I'd go so far as to say that it's one of the most gorgeous guitars I've ever laid my hands on.

The only problem with the G400 Custom is that they only seem to come in that creme color and I think our pal, BeatleNut had his heart set on a faded ... or at least a cherry or brown color.

I must admit to being a huge fan of neck binding on a guitar and that brown color Epi is using on the G400's, while indeed binding, just doesn't set of the neck the way the creme did.

Jim

..it's not a "loss of quality" at all' date=' it's a loss of aesthetics..[/quote']

A loss of aesthetics, a loss of beauty, is a loss of quality. If we just wanted quality instruments based upon sound alone, then we would all be happy playing guitars that are spray painted black by a six year old. Be honest, we want a quality of aesthetics to go along with our quality of playing in all our guitars.

BeatleNut had his heart set on a faded ... or at least a cherry

Has to be that red with the white binding. SGs in my mind and heart must have that white binding and must be red. It's like buying a 12 string Rickenbacker or a Ferrari...must be red.

I really just wanted to use the guitar as a beater. I was looking for a cheap guitar with humbuckers that I can really not be careful nor loving with. I have always loved the sound of the SG style guitar and I figured a cheaper Epi was the way to go. But now with no binding, I am thinking of saving up and just getting myself a genuine Gibson SG. I won't be beating on that one, but at least I'll get the aesthetics I want. In the meantime I'll be looking for used Epis with white binding.

You know the story behind McGuinn's Ric? He wanted one after seeing The Beatles A HARD DAYS NIGHT film. Unfortunately for McGuinn the film was in black and white. He had no way of knowing they are supposed to be red. He bought himself one - the wrong color - and the rest is history.

You know the story behind McGuinn's Ric? He wanted one after seeing The Beatles A HARD DAYS NIGHT film. Unfortunately for McGuinn the film was in black and white. He had no way of knowing they are supposed to be red. He bought himself one - the wrong color - and the rest is history.

When George first saw the Byrds' date=' he could figure out why McGuinn sounded so much better than he did. He noticed McGuinn's didn't have any binding all around the front. So George got one without the binding, but it didn't help. It wasn't the binding, it was the color!!! Mapleglo 12s sound way better the Fireglo ones!!!

[center']jerrymac_ric12.jpg[/center]

The only problem with the G400 Custom is that they only seem to come in that creme color and I think our pal' date=' BeatleNut had his heart set on a faded ... or at least a cherry or brown color.[/quote']

Mine is black, it may be different range of colours per region or something.

When George first saw the Byrds' date=' he could figure out why McGuinn sounded so much better than he did. It wasn't the binding, it was the color!!! [/quote']

O:)

By the way, just a correction, McGuinn NEVER sounded better than George.

It's not just beauty or quality -- it's function.

A white binding makes it a lot easier to find the fret markers on a dimly lit stage or one with bright floods pointed right at you so the top of the neck is silhouetted --- especially if you are singing while playing and only have time for a quick glance at the fretboard.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived