Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Choice

Hey guys, I just got my Epi Standard Plus. The pickups surprise me. The bridge

is crisp and clear. Good crunch, etc... But I play everything from Allman Bros, Skynyrd,

Metallica, Slayer, Doom Metal, Albert Collins, Sabbath, a little everything. Is there a

general pickup you could suggest that would cover most of that? Thanks

If you like the stockers you'll love the Seymour Duncan HotRod set. JB and Jazz (SH-4 and SH-2).

Alternatively one of the Seymour Duncan Customs(Custom SH-5 , Custom Custom SH-11, Custom5 SH-14) in the bridge, and a '59 SH-1 in the neck.

If you like the stockers you'll love the Seymour Duncan HotRod set. JB and Jazz (SH-4 and SH-2).

How so? Compared to the stock Epi pups are they a little hotter? A little more articulated? Is the difference subtle or obvious to untrained ears? How do you think the JB compares to the SD custom models? How does the 59n compare to the Jazz? It's hard to get a good idea from listening to their online samples.

How so? Compared to the stock Epi pups are they a little hotter? A little more articulated? Is the difference subtle or obvious to untrained ears?

How do you think the JB compares to the SD custom models?

How does the 59n compare to the Jazz? It's hard to get a good idea from listening to their online samples.

Output is about the same with the JB slightly hotter than the Epi Hotch bridge-PU. The Hotrod set is everything the Epi 57CH and HOTCH set strives to be. Lots more clarity and definition to the tone which will become apparent as soon as you start dialing in the gain. Especially the Epi bridge-PU is really a thin anemic sounding PU.

IMO it's obvious, but you make an excellent point in that you need to train your ears to distinguish between the subtle differences.

I'd say the JB is probably closest in tone to the Custom5 SH14. The SH11 has sweeter highs, but less defined lows. The original Custom SH5 has more of a modern edge with deep lows and pronounced high-mids.

Again IMO. I'd say the '59 has a little more clarity over the Jazz.

I had a hot rodded humbucker set in another guitar a while back, I forget what model.

But the jb sounded great and the jazz was a little muddy for my taste. I was thinking JB and

'59 in neck. I had some dimarzios ina Fender dual humbucker tele, not very hot. I have EMG's in a Dean

'79 V but that is for mostly metal. I'll tell you I listened to some of the ones on guitarfetish.com

and was impressed for the price. I also want to get some with some chrome covers for this Epi

DSC00739.jpg

DSC00740.jpg

For a lower price but not lower quality alternative ,try Tonerider Rocksongs .Very good tones .indeed ,very warm and versatile alnico II .nickel covers ,gold or open .I also have a bridge Tonerider in my Tele .:)

Output is about the same with the JB slightly hotter than the Epi Hotch bridge-PU. The Hotrod set is everything the Epi 57CH and HOTCH set strives to be. Lots more clarity and definition to the tone which will become apparent as soon as you start dialing in the gain. Especially the Epi bridge-PU is really a thin anemic sounding PU.

IMO it's obvious' date=' but you make an excellent point in that you need to train your ears to distinguish between the subtle differences.

I'd say the JB is probably closest in tone to the Custom5 SH14. The SH11 has sweeter highs, but less defined lows. The original Custom SH5 has more of a modern edge with deep lows and pronounced high-mids.

Again IMO. I'd say the '59 has a little more clarity over the Jazz.

[/quote']

Thanks. It's hard to get my head around the idea of the Hotch being somewhat hot but also thin and anemic sounding. Sounds like the JB/59n would be a good set. Do you know what GFS pup would be comparable to a JB?

Archived