Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton Modding!

marcbc

OK guys so you know my main guitar is a sheraton II. I was thinking of doing something a little crazy. i dont know if its possible but i wanna turn it into a 3 pickup guitar. is there anyway that its possible? I probally woulnt do it myself and would bring it to a pro to do it.

It can be routed for a middle pickup. I don't think that would be greatly difficult at all.

Give your wiring some thought.

Just watch out for hacks..!

TWANG

neat idea really.. !

Is it easy enough for me to do by myself or do i need some proffesional help??

I want to put a dirty fingers pu in it. Yeah the wiring troubles me i have no clue what im doing when it comes to that. i had the repair guy in my local music store put my seymour duncan pickups in, Do you think a dirty fingers would sound cool?

Sounds like you need to do a little more research. Routing on a hollow body, for those without experience, is an invitation to butcher a guitar. A router can get away from you pretty easily. Another issue is mechanical: you need some way to make the rout exactly the size and shape you need, because otherwise your hack will be out there in front of god and everybody and there's no way to hide it. Add to that the fact that it's irreversible. Think of it as the equivalent of getting an ugly tattoo across your face.

Besides that, the time to sort out the electronics is before you get into it. The third pickup will not sound the same way it would if you substituted it for one of the existing pickups, and it may be prudent to try putting the selected pickup in the neck position to see if you like the sound. Your tech may not have any experience with three pickup guitars, which will leave it up to you to figure out how to wire things (my local guitar tech won't work on semi-hollow body guitars at all).

Finally, the Sheraton is a difficult guitar to rewire, and to troubleshoot if you screw up the wiring. I rewired mine, and I know whereof I speak. If you're prepared to end up with a guitar that doesn't look good, or sound good, and can't be made like it was before you started, you'll be OK.

Archived