Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Broadway?

I own one. I really enjoy playing it. John Lee Hooker style blues. I put a intonateable bridge on mine, the wooden bridge

was ok but I just customized mine a little, added a little more twang. Its a pretty basic guitar, jazz, rockabilly, blues.

I don't think it would be too good for metal. I play mine a lot. I put a set of "half flat" 10's on it and changed the knobs.

Not much else to say about it, I think I payed about $650 for it, Its about 10 years old. If I don't like a particular instrument after playing it for a while, I don't keep them. I kept this one.

IMG_0057.jpg

The Broadway is very well built and an excellent value. The craftsmanship is excellent for its price range. In my opinion, it's built and finished with much more attention to detail than similarly priced Gretsches (though they have a lot of fans).

Amplified, you can get warm, round, jazzy tones easily from it. It comes with a wooded bridge which adds a somewhat, well, woody tone. Like the poster above, crust (and me), you might prefer the extra definition a tuneomatic provides, and its ability to adjust the intonation a little more precisely.

The Broadway can be used for a lot more than Jazz. You can also get crunchy overdriven rock sounds, and with the volume rolled down, something like an overdirven acoustic-electric, reminiscent of the percussive acoustic tone on early Beatles records. It's very good for rhythm in either of those applications. Being a large hollow body, it won't give you cutting, sustaining leads as easily as a solid-body. However, with its rich low end and plentiful resonance, this is an instrument that clearly excel as a solo instrument or in a small combo, as it occupies a lot of space sonically.

Unamplified, it's surprising loud, though it doesn't produce the same rich, full sound as when amplified. The top is fairly thick, laminated, and heavily braced, as the Broadway (clearly inspired by the Gibson L5CES) was certainly designed to be an electric guitar first, and an only-occasional acoustic.

On the top row is a Broadway. On the bottom is the Elitist version, which is graced with better pickups, a solid, carved top, and wood that is more figured. The craftsmanship, though, seems equal on both. I'm very impressed with the Broadway.

picture116x.jpg

Red 333

The Broadway is very well built and an excellent value. The craftsmanship is excellent for its price range. In my opinion' date=' it's built and finished with much more attention to detail than similarly priced Gretsches (though they have a lot of fans).

Amplified, you can get warm, round, jazzy tones easily from it. It comes with a wooded bridge which adds a somewhat, well, woody tone. Like the poster above, crust (and me), you might prefer the extra definition a tuneomatic provides, and its ability to adjust the intonation a little more precisely.

The Broadway can be used for a lot more than Jazz. You can also get crunchy overdriven rock sounds, and with the volume rolled down, something like an overdirven acoustic-electric, reminiscent of the percussive acoustic tone on early Beatles records. It's very good for rhythm in either of those applications. Being a large hollow body, it won't give you cutting, sustaining leads as easily as a solid-body. However, with its rich low end and plentiful resonance, this is an instrument that clearly excel as a solo instrument or in a small combo, as it occupies a lot of space sonically.

Unamplified, it's surprising loud, though it doesn't produce the same rich, full sound as when amplified. The top is fairly thick, laminated, and heavily braced, as the Broadway (clearly inspired by the Gibson L5CES) was certainly designed to be an electric guitar first, and an only-occasional acoustic.

On the top row is a Broadway. On the bottom is the Elitist version, which is graced with better pickups, a solid, carved top, and wood that is more figured. The craftsmanship, though, seems equal on both. I'm very impressed with the Broadway.

[img']http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/6671/picture116x.jpg[/img]

Red 333

AHA! But now I feel like a dummy, having IDed your "stock" Broadway as a JPass on another thread. To quote a song I know: "I shoulda known better..." esp. as I've been checking out some Passes lately. I should pay more attention to the tailpieces!

An Epiphone Broadway is one of the main axes used by the great bluesman Duke Robillard. This is an excerpt from an Epiphone interview with Duke:

EPI: Tell me about your gear:

DUKE: I use a lot of different guitars including an Epiphone Emperor Regent, Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe, Epiphone Broadway, Epiphone Riviera, Epiphone ES-295…man that's a GREAT guitar…an Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Les Paul Special with the P-90's...I love that guitar through my Tube-Screamer…and I also have a Gibson Byrdland and a Strat that I use. On the hollowbodies my strings are typically 011-049 but I'll go lighter on the solidbodies. I usually play through a Twin but lately I've been getting into this old vintage Gibson Labs amp I found. It sounds great! For picks I just use your basic, plastic, heavy picks.

AHA! But now I feel like a dummy' date=' having IDed your "stock" Broadway as a JPass on another thread. To quote a song I know: "I shoulda known better..." esp. as I've been checking out some Passes lately. I should pay more attention to the tailpieces![/quote']

You know, the perspective in the picture makes it look smaller, so it does look it could be a modified Joe Pass. And it's probably not common for someone to have two Broadways, so assuming one is a Joe Pass makes sense.

Red 333

You know' date=' the perspective in the picture makes it look smaller, so it does look it could be a modified Joe Pass. And it's probably not common for someone to have two Broadways, so assuming one is a Joe Pass makes sense.

Red 333[/quote']

You are most gracious!

• 10 months later...

Same here, great guitar, acoustically or amplified.

I've replaced the rosewood bridge by a adjustable roller bridge to go with the Bigsby.

It's a floating bridge so I put sandpaper on it to avoid it's moving all the time.

The finish is cherry red sunburst from 1997.

IMG_1318R.jpg

IMG_1314fbBW.jpg

IMG_1315R2.jpg

Archived