Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone know what this Epi is?

pro

Hi All,

I was given this guitar, it was dead, i know nothing about guitars but i found enough info online to understand how they work. I worked out the pickups are fine but the pots and switches were broken so I replaced all of them and now she's playing again. I put new strings on to see if it worked when i got it, and then took them off to repair it and 2 of them broke when i tried to put them back on, i'll replace them this weekend.

Can anyone tell me what kind of Epiphone this is? I have spent hours and hours on internet and have learnt a whole lot about guitars but still have no clue what kind of epiphone this is. From the serial number I found out it was made in september 1990 but don't know what the model is.

I would really apreciate if anyone could tell me what kind of Epi it is?

Regards

Gareth

whatsitepi.jpg

Hi All' date='

I was given this guitar, it was dead, i know nothing about guitars but i found enough info online to understand how they work. I worked out the pickups are fine but the pots and switches were broken so I replaced all of them and now she's playing again. I put new strings on to see if it worked when i got it, and then took them off to repair it and 2 of them broke when i tried to put them back on, i'll replace them this weekend.

Can anyone tell me what kind of Epiphone this is? I have spent hours and hours on internet and have learnt a whole lot about guitars but still have no clue what kind of epiphone this is. From the serial number I found out it was made in september 1990 but don't know what the model is.

I would really apreciate if anyone could tell me what kind of Epi it is?

Regards

Gareth

[/quote']

Unreal is right, it's a 1970s ('71 - '75) Matsumoku (Aria) made ET-270. Made in Japan. Serial #s on these Japanese models have no significance.

Unreal is right' date=' it's a 1970s ('71 - '75) Matsumoku (Aria) made ET-270. Made in Japan. Serial #s on these Japanese models have no significance.[/quote']

But it says Epiphone on it? I don't quite understand then?

Simply means it was built for Epiphone by Matsumoku in Japan and exported.....same as most (?) of today's being built in Qingdao China (albeit, in a Gibson owned/run facility) and exported. Just an earlier producer of Epiphones - has varied over the years.

Since 1970, Gibson contracts with foreign manufacturers to make Epiphones. This particular model you have was made by Matsumoku in Japan and distributed under several brand names such as Aria, Lyle and Epiphone.

Well thank you all very much, I used the internet and figured it all out. I love internet.

So are these any good? Should I be happy that I have it or should I keep looking for more?

My dad has a Fender something or the other that he's had for years, it got damaged when it was fhrown out the window of a flat and hit the floor from 3 stories up. I'm going to pick it up from him and im going to fix it. The neck on it is fine it was the body that cracked in half, but im sure I can fix it....

Archived