Gibson Brands Forums

And y'all thought you were tough

pohatu771

Wow....This was like watching a movie with an incredible twist at the end. THE ORIGINAL POSTER WAS THE MODIFIER HIMSELF!!! I suspect rom some of the replies most thought the poster and the modifier were two different individuals! I myself thought the same thing.

Anyway.....I thought it was pretty strange (the guitar I mean) but to each his own. Just like everything else in the guitar playing world, if it works for you more power to ya!

Wow....This was like watching a movie with an incredible twist at the end. THE ORIGINAL POSTER WAS THE MODIFIER HIMSELF!!! I suspect rom some of the replies most thought the poster and the modifier were two different individuals! I myself thought the same thing.

Anyway.....I thought it was pretty strange (the guitar I mean) but to each his own. Just like everything else in the guitar playing world' date=' if it works for you more power to ya! [/quote']

Umm... Pohatu started this thread not Connectable.

Guest icantbuyafender
I hate to repeat myself - but here goes - I can't play 'standard' 12-string guitars becuase of my finger size! the epi les paul feathured allowed me to place the stings myself = in the best playing position for me.

Regards from Joe.

Alright sir, I didnt expect some kind of reply...

We aren't "debating" just simply remarking our thoughts on the "franken-phone"

No need to repeat yourself.

We're all about sharing our opinions on here, and as a fellow modder to another-- Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the further comments. The reason that I was able to discover any remarks is that my hosting service provides a list of referrers. (excellent service from one.com)

With regards to tension - that was the one thing I was afraid of most. But all appears to be OK. The guitar has been strung up to playing tension for over a year and survived 3 string changes. (I don't gig much) The action is a little-high, but I don't find that a problem.

BTW Do you know anyone else that has done a similar conversion? The only other guitar I've modified was a cheap Pignose - and only fitted an extra 4 strings (Octave mandola tuning) This has the 2 extra machine-head knobs sticking up at the top of the headstock like Mickey Mouses ears.

Regards from Joe.

• 3 months later...
Guest icantbuyafender

I still feel violated everytime i see or think of this thread.

>:^[

No bueno. No bueno at all.

I wonder if anyone has constructed a super mini guitar out of a epi mando-bird mandolin. Or create a banjo out of a a LP.

Thats the only logical step forward in the world of madness.

Hi Guys, I'm surprised this thread is still alive. But glad it is, as referrals to the site are still coming from this forum. icantbuyafender sounds very sensitive, perhaps looking/thinking about something else will help. I'll be honest with everyone. The only thing I'm interested in is that I ended up with an instrument that sounds fabulous, at a tenth of the price something too small for me to use would cost. I ain't bothered what it looks like (but you will have gathered that anyway!)

Good luck with your playing.

Regards from Joe.

Hi Guys' date=' I'm surprised this thread is still alive. But glad it is, as referrals to the site are still coming from this forum. icantbuyafender sounds very sensitive, perhaps looking/thinking about something else will help. I'll be honest with everyone. The only thing I'm interested in is that I ended up with an instrument that sounds fabulous, at a tenth of the price something too small for me to use would cost. I ain't bothered what it looks like (but you will have gathered that anyway!)

Good luck with your playing.

Regards from Joe.[/quote']Hey, if EVH can get away with it, why can't you?

Hell, when I "aged" my LP (which looks EXACTLY like yours, minus the 6 extra strings), I got flamed WAY worse than you! I mean, there were A LOT more good comments than bad, but the few people that had something negative to say, really let me have it!

As long as your happy with it, and it plays well/sounds good? That's ALL that matters. Plus! If it weren't for guys like you, we wouldn't have some of the kick-*** guitars that are around today. Anyone ever hear of LES PAUL?! He had the balls to rip his guitars apart, and turn them into something new (for his personal preferences, remember the LP Personal?), so why is this so weird?

Wow, I think I'd be worried all that extra string tension would be detrimental to peghead integrity, i.e., SHE'S GONNA BLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kind of thing. It is...unusual looking, I'm wondering how those banjo tuners are keeping those big fat strings they weren't intended for in tune? Hmm...I dunno, I'm skeptical.

• 7 months later...
I wonder if anyone has constructed a super mini guitar out of a epi mando-bird mandolin. Or create a banjo out of a a LP.

Thats the only logical step forward in the world of madness.

As a matter of fact:

LPDulcimer.jpg

LPDulcime2.jpg

Since Brian resurrected this thread.............................

Rockstar said it all...............as long as the builder is happy with it' date=' thats what really matters. [/quote']

Very very true !!!:-&

But I still wonder how many hits of acid it took to come up with that idea................<joking>=D>
.....depends ........ am gonna average it out to 1.5, give or take :-k

Guest icantbuyafender

:::shakes head::: I said it before, and I'll say it again... "to each his own" ... No matter how odd the outcome.

Archived