Gibson Brands Forums

Slash Les Paul

MadMan

Are you talking about the Gold Top? I thought it was very nice. Great tuners, good pup's and a very comfortable neck ... but it was nothing you couldn't upgrade the $499 standard to if you wanted the Gold and save a bunch of $$$'s in the bargain. Personally, I prefer the Customs ... but the Slash LP a good guitar!

Jim

Long neck tenon, SD alnico pro2 pickups, thats the main diff. People say the tuners arent as good as the std grovers epi use.

I tried the tobaco looking one a while back in the shop and it sounded real nice but neck was quite thick for me. I got a std in the end and was very happy. I think i should of got it at the time as it was £400 and now there alot more secondhand. Nevermind hey!

Long neck tenon' date=' SD alnico pro2 pickups, thats the main diff.[/quote']

Plus the 'Slash' neck profile, which I, like you, don't find to my taste. The tenon is interesting in that it's closer to true Les Paul construction than the standard offset rabbet joint they usually use. As to whether it makes any tangible difference to the tone, well, some would say it does but I doubt it. Given that anyone can upgrade a stock Epi LP Standard with Alnico Pro IIs, it all boils down to that neck profile... if you really find it comfortable, especially compared to a stock model, then the Slash would be the way to go. Otherwise, get a stock model, upgrade the pickups, and pocket the difference.

Nothing.

They're just different. The Les Paul stands out on its own due to its maple cap/mahogany body construction, or at least it would if the maple cap was solid. Explorers and Flying Vs would be more like an SG in character since none of them have a maple cap, solid or otherwise, although a genuine vintage Explorer or V will sound somewhat different due to being made from Korina as opposed to the Honduras mahogany of a genuine SG.

Most of this is moot since in terms of Epiphones, all of these models are pretty much solid Philippine 'mahogany', treated with various veneers to emulate the appearance of their prototypes, so the subtle variations you would expect from authentic Gibson models will be pretty much lost and the only tangible differences are more due to differing thicknesses (and therefore mass) of the bodies. At this point, you are better off to choose based on æsthetics (how much you like the look) and playability (is it comfortable to play?), since they're all pretty much going to sound the same.

No matter which guitar you personally prefer, based on its tone and playability, no one can be considered 'better' than any other.

Nothing.

They're just different. The Les Paul stands out on its own due to its maple cap/mahogany body construction' date=' or at least it would if the maple cap was [i']solid[/i]. Explorers and Flying Vs would be more like an SG in character since none of them have a maple cap, solid or otherwise, although a genuine vintage Explorer or V will sound somewhat different due to being made from Korina as opposed to the Honduras mahogany of a genuine SG.

Most of this is moot since in terms of Epiphones, all of these models are pretty much solid Philippine 'mahogany', treated with various veneers to emulate the appearance of their prototypes, so the subtle variations you would expect from authentic Gibson models will be pretty much lost and the only tangible differences are more due to differing thicknesses (and therefore mass) of the bodies. At this point, you are better off to choose based on æsthetics (how much you like the look) and playability (is it comfortable to play?), since they're all pretty much going to sound the same.

No matter which guitar you personally prefer, based on its tone and playability, no one can be considered 'better' than any other.

Thanks for the answer =)

Archived