Gibson Brands Forums

semi hollow + compression

DJB08

There have been threads about amps, the best amp for a semi hollow etc..

and pick ups and swapping pickups etc.

Well,I was in the boat to swap out my neck pick up but, wanted to wait til i got my amp back from repair to judge.

So, I got my amp back last night. 80 Fender Twin. The issue was that it had this come and go crackle/static sound.

Well, let me tell you once i dialed in my preferred settings the amp and the guitar just sang.

I was really, really pleased with the clarity. It was just incredible.

Then my pal introduced me to this RT 66 pedal by visual sound. It's a compressor and distortion.

I messed around with it to basically have a minimal amount of compression but, enough that when i did some chicken pickin' the pop "that you can only get from fender" was totally present and just incredible! Compression gave me just enough boost and made the highs clear but, not too bright. I was really pleased. I'll be getting this RT 66 pedal soon...

Anyone wanna buy a boss blues driver?

Anyway, anyone here use compression or have one that they prefer??

Anyone absolutely love or hate compression on live guitar???

opinions and experiences please.

DJB

I never liked the Boss Compressor/Sustainer I used to have but I really like my DOD 'Milkbox' compressor. Unfortunately it does not get along well with my BBE Green Screamer and I haven't had the time to figure out how to rectify the problem yet. Nonetheless I really liked the sound I got running the DOD into a Boss Metal Zone...

Good topic and one that I am interested in hearing some suggestions.

I just picked up a BOSS ME-70 multi-effects unit. I was going to buy a BOSS compressor but for another $100 I figured just buy this massive effects thing. I tried compression for the first time and am liking it. Any inherent volume problems in the guitar are evened out. I like the "squash" sound of the notes. It makes my 12 string Ric really sound like The Byrds or Beatles. Now I want a separate, better compression unit.

There is something called a Janglebox that is supposed to be the tops for compression. Very pricey but that is a definite Christmas present this year.

I can vouch for the JangleBox. This is a very high quality compressor/sustainer. Three switch positions that shape overall EQ, plus 'Attack' and 'Gain'. It's fabulous for clean jangle or beautiful sustain ahead of an overdrive like the Tubescreamer.

I love mine; I've had it for about 4 years now.

I can vouch for the JangleBox. This is a very high quality compressor/sustainer.

Thanks. Your word just made me make sure I will be getting one.

I am going to buy the new Janglebox 2. For an extra couple of bucks I get a couple of EQ knobs and a bigger unit.

I have a Keeley Compressor, in conjunction with a Boss GE-7 (modified) and a couple of TS9s. I love the Keeley. I get great sustain out of this mix. I have tried the Boss but I hated it. It was just too noisy and unusable. I aslo had an MXR Dyna Comp. I modified it and it was okay, but the Keeley is much better, but then it isn't cheap.

Guest icantbuyafender

i really am pleased with my compression pedal.

its a Marshall ED-1 "Edward the Compressor"

I can dial in that southern fried pop on my LPs, and its an absolute dream with a bit of overdrive.

I believe you can grab one of ebay for around 40 bucks used

best decision i made, i havent been this pleased with compression pedals before

Archived