Gibson Brands Forums

GFS Tuners?

Swoop

Has anyone ever used any of the tuning machines from GFS? Are they good quality?

As I have mentioned in several other threads, I'm getting new pickups for my Les Paul Custom, and replacing the worn out gold hardware. The last piece of that puzzle is the tuners, but I haven't been able to find the correct ones. It has the earlier 80s/90s gold keystone tuners, not grovers like a more current LP Custom. The screw holes are set off at an angle, not perpendicular like grovers. I think they're a Schaller tuner, but Schaller doesn't seem to make them any more. I believe these GFS ones are the correct ones, and the price is certainly great. I was just wondering if they were comparable to Schaller or Grover tuners, and what the ratio is? I think my LP Custom is 15:1 or 16:1. It's definitely not 18:1 or 14:1. So I'd like to equal or better the current specs if possible.

These are the ones I'm talking about

http://store.guitarfetish.com/clketugofi70.html

Yes, I have a set of those EXACT Gold Tulips on my Raven West LP Copy,

Not a single complaint about them. They have the threaded bushings on top,

easy to install... Says 70's and 80's LP, but my raven is 2008. I think the hole

in my headstock was just slightly larger, but I have NO drift and the screws

and bushing essentially LOCK the tuner in place. Great buy!

Hmmm, yes the chrome ones say 14:1, so I don't see why the gold ones would be any different. I just checked and the ones on my LP Custom are 16:1, ideally I don't want to go below that, but I can't seem to find any keystone style ones in gold with that ratio or better, and the right screw placement, so what can I do really? I wonder if I should just bite the bullet, drill some new screw holes and fit some gold Grover 18:1 Rotomatics. Waaay more expensive though

Guest icantbuyafender
Has anyone ever used any of the tuning machines from GFS? Are they good quality?

As I have mentioned in several other threads' date=' I'm getting new pickups for my Les Paul Custom, and replacing the worn out gold hardware. The last piece of that puzzle is the tuners, but I haven't been able to find the correct ones. It has the earlier 80s/90s gold keystone tuners, not grovers like a more current LP Custom. The screw holes are set off at an angle, not perpendicular like grovers. I think they're a Schaller tuner, but Schaller doesn't seem to make them any more. I believe these GFS ones are the correct ones, and the price is certainly great. I was just wondering if they were comparable to Schaller or Grover tuners, and what the ratio is? I think my LP Custom is 15:1 or 16:1. It's definitely not 18:1 or 14:1. So I'd like to equal or better the current specs if possible.

These are the ones I'm talking about

http://store.guitarfetish.com/clketugofi70.html[/quote']

Ive never been dissapointed with GFS tuners or pickups.

I normally put their tuners on my guitars because i hate the stock tuners on the epi's

I use the vintage kluson style tuners , or the larger chrome keystone tuners that look like 80's gibby tuners.

incredible quality for a measly 20 bucks.

I wonder if I should just bite the bullet, drill some new screw holes and fit some gold Grover 18:1 Rotomatics. Waaay more expensive though

I did and I really like the 18:1 ratio.

And the locking tuners stay in tune better, in my opinion.

5NewIn.jpg

Notice, no windings

LockingTunersIn.jpg

Archived