Gibson Brands Forums

tuner hole size

scottsgh

i need to change out my tuners, the whole guitar rattles when i hit open notes. are epi. hole size 9 millimeter? it doesn't do it on bar chords, and if you put your ear up to the tuner, you can really hear it. thanx for any help. figure you guy's would know, as i'm an epi. newbie

If they have diecast tuners, the holes will be 10mm. If they have the older green tuners it'll be closer to 8mm.

If they are diecast, have you checked that the nuts are tight? They loosen up pretty often. P.S. don't over-torque 'em, they can strip; go for firm as opposed to gorilla tight.

If they have diecast tuners' date=' the holes will be 10mm. If they have the older green tuners it'll be closer to 8mm.

If they are diecast, have you checked that the nuts are tight? They loosen up pretty often. P.S. don't over-torque 'em, they can strip; go for firm as opposed to gorilla tight.[/quote'] they are the green tuners. i should have mentioned the axe was made in '96. i've never heard of 8mm. only 9's, and 10's. i really don't want to drill, and would prefer to get drop ins.

Well, Gotoh makes a really good quality 15:1 set. But they're a bit pricey. We get these 'Dixon' brand sets up here and they're also pretty good and a lot cheaper. Either will drop right in. BTW Epis used to have Gotohs installed at the factory in the Samick days; my '94 had 'em. I eventually popped in a set of Grovers but I hung on to the Gotohs and eventually ended up using them on my Monty:

headstock.jpg

As you can see, the Gotohs are more yellowy in colour compared to the Epi 'green' tuners; I think the knobs are thinner too, more like the prototypes. Gotohs will be stamped 'Japan' on the inside surface of the mounting plate. Great tuners.

I may be mistaken on the 8mm but according to the drawing that makes sense in order to get a press fit; if the holes were 9mm the bushings wouldn't stay in.

0912_1spec.gif

Before you replace the entire tuner just make sure of one thing - make sure it is not just that plastic head that is rattling.

I had noisy tuners (three of them) and I replaced them with the same ones (Gibson sent me them). But as I was replacing them I realized it wasn't the guts of the tuners that was making the noise, but just the plastic head that came slightly loose. Strike a note, hear your rattle, and put a finger on the green head. If it stops the noise take a closer look at the head and see if you can move it back and forth a bit. If that is the case, just drop a drop of crazy glue down the shaft into the head and your problems will be fixed. No need for replacements.

It really could just be that head that is loose and making a racket. Three of them came loose on mine. Saved a great deal of money by just buying crazy glue instead of all new replacement tuners.

Archived