Gibson Brands Forums

GENESIS TWINS SUNBATHING

brianh

Whoa cowboy, not those twins - these twins:

MEMO0078640.jpg

P1000887640.jpg

MEMO0079640.jpg

MEMO0084640.jpg

Yep, I found another Genesis Deluxe today on Craiglist. I thought for sure it would be just another beater, but boy was I surprised when I opened up the (original) case on the hood of my car in the parking lot of the KMart at 8 this morning. She practically jumped into my arms. I got her home and she cleaned up real nice. Not as minty as her sister, but still amazingly great shape for a 30-year old Matsumoko. Same solid mahogony body, set neck, rosewood fretboard, gold hardware, MOP inlays, DiMarzio Humbuckers with coil tapping and the triple binding. Slightly different sunburst tho, more of a root beer than tobacco.

Frickin' perfection.

This is really getting to be an addiction.

Nice "RootBurst" brian!!

I've actually never seen this type of guitar before' date=' so to see one guy with 2,

is like seeing the "twins" for the first time. :-)[/quote']

Thanks, sad fact is I have four. Those two, a red one, and a black one I'm hotrodding. Coolest closet classic out there for those of us who are "wallet challenged".

Wow nice. Is it just me or is the one on the right slightly larger bodywise?

You're right, it does look like the one on the right has gained a few lbs over the years.

Very nice looking guitars, congrats

I've never even seen one for sale' date=' and you have bagged two?! Ain't one to be had on ebay at this moment.[/quote']

Jeff, they come up fairly regularly on Evil Bay, but they often get bid up over book value or the seller has too high a reserve. There was an absolutely mint red Geni Standard that I linked here, but nobody on the forum went for it. It was from a guy in Texas who tried to learn to pick 30 years ago, gave up and stuck it in the closet. It went for $300 + shipping. Keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist tho, that's where I've found all four of mine. They typically range from $200 to $600 depending on the model (Standard, Custom, Deluxe) and condition. I saw a guy selling two bodies recently somewhere in MI for $200. I e-mailed him but no response. That would have been a cool find, I could have hotrodded the heck out of them....

PS: here's a Custom that just closed.

Wow nice. Is it just me or is the one on the right slightly larger bodywise?

Nah, except for the finish variation they're virtually identical in all respects. It's just the way they're positioned in the stands. The "new" one had a lot of clear finish on the fretboard that I had to scrape off, sand and steel wool down. Also the frets were fairly ragged. Maybe it was a "Friday" guitar. The "old" one seems to be slightly better build quality, but it's relatively insignificant, they're both in dang good and totally original condition. I still can't believe I found them....hope to find one or two good conditon black and/or sunburst Custom someday, I have two Deluxes and two Standards currently. I stupidly passed up a nice Custom I found in Vermont back in January for $400.

If anyone has any questions about any of these guitars that they find, let me know. I'd like to hear what others think of them from a purely intellectual standpoint.

PS: here's a link to the Wikipedia entry on Geni's - anything look familiar?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphone_Genesis

i notice alot of people take photo's of their guitars outside, is their really any point in this? I've seen pictures of it done when its been very heavily snowing surely it can't do the wood any good.

BTW you've got a nice pair;)

i notice alot of people take photo's of their guitars outside' date=' is their really any point in this? I've seen pictures of it done when its been very heavily snowing surely it can't do the wood any good. BTW you've got a nice pair;) [/quote']

It's usually done to get natural sunlight on the the wood grain - it really makes it pop. Also because it looks nicer than seeing somebody's dirty kitchen floor in the shot. Here's an example (not mine) that makes the point, I think:

FenderTrio.jpg

It's usually done to get natural sunlight on the the wood grain - it really makes it pop. Also because it looks nicer than seeing somebody's dirty kitchen floor in the shot. Here's an example (not mine) that makes the point' date=' I think:

[img']http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt163/brianehuff/FenderTrio.jpg[/img]

Are right, thanks for clearing that up for me. Tbh i'd rather see pics of guitars with all the gear (amps,pedals etc) but that does look nice

Archived