Gibson Brands Forums

Ever stick a trapeze tailpiece on a guitar with a wrap around bridge?

Theoretically, but it may not have a positive effect on tone or sustain or whatever the reasons are for a trapeze.

With a Tune-o-Matic, they remind you not to let the break angle be so steep that the strings touch anything between the saddle and the tailpiece. With a wraparound tailpiece, you can't avoid the string touching part of the bridge before it gets to the tailpiece.

Hmm. Could you fix that by replacing the bridge? What kind of tonal difference am I looking at?

You'll loose some tension on the "saddles". So besides a slightly increased ease in bending, your tone will loose some sustain, and "focus". But depending on how trained your ears are, you might not even notice the slight difference. So go for it, if you want to.

Aesthetics? Feel?

As to the æsthetics, IMO, nothing can touch the simple elegance and function of the stop tail. Now it's just a personal opinion but to me trapezes are kind of clunky and I have a feeling one would look kind of orfy-gorfy on an LP. Even those ES-335s with the trapeze just seem to be inferior to their stop tailpiece brothers.

Feel? Yeah, okay, there's a point there, but you'll be sacrificing a ton of sustain to get it so it's a tightrope balancing act.

To each his own. I personally don't like the looks of the trapeze on an LP, but that is just me. I bought an Agile AL-3100 (LP copy) with a trapeeze. The only reason I did was because I wanted to put a Bigsby on it and not have to deal with the tailpiece holes showing. Otherwise I much prefer a stop tailpiece, especially on an LP.

Archived