Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson modern tuners gear ratio?

Hi ya'll, my stock grovers are not holding the strings right lately. I've had to tune the strings often enough that it's time to get a new one for my gtr. I was wondering what the ratio is for the gibson modern tuners (metal tulip knobs). Thanks in advance.

How do you know it's the tuners that are failing? I'd say that it's far more likely that your general guitar setup is out of whack. When was the last time you had a luthier do a real setup?

Point of reference...I've got a set of grovers that came stock on my 30 y/o Lester, and they work just fine, after 30 years of rather heavy use.

Also, there should be a screw on the end of the tuner knob that you can tighten, if need be.

It doesn't seem likely that real Grover brand tuners would be failing. Might suggest taking all the strings off, tighten the ferrule nut, and (as M says above) tighten the screw at the end of the buttons. Not too tight though. Also try some nut sauce to reduce friction at the nut. Bet it'll tune up like a whole new guitar.

Archived