Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird VII, what can you tell me?

Hi everyone, just bought a Firebird VII on impulse in a second hand shop, partly cos I thought it was under-priced and partly because it will go nicely with my Epiphone Non Reverse Bass. Anyway, now I've found an Epiphone forum I wonder if any of you can give me some info about either guitar? I believe the Non Reverse Bass was mid 90s and I'm guessing the Firebird is around 2005. Can any of you confirm these dates? can I tell from the serial number? The Firebird says made in Korea. Any idea where the non Reverse was made? any other geeky type info that I can relish?

thank you in advance

fire007.jpg

fire008.jpg

and here's my Bass

mine006.jpg

mine008.jpg

First time I've ever seen an Epi non-reverse Thunderbird bass. Weird too, it's set up electronically like a Precision/Jazz bass hybrid, not at all like any possible Gibson prototype.

Any kind of serial number on it? Check the neck mounting plate for a serial with an embedded date code. I found another bass like that on the net which appears to be from 1996. The guitar's serial should also give you the manufacturing year and month.

I think I was told they were made in the mid 90s...I love the look of it but it stays in it's case most of the time..I tinker on this beauty mostly when I fancy playing a Bass..

2069_1.jpg

I've just been advised elsewhere that the Firebird's serial number indicates August 2001. Does that sound about right? What years were they availabe?

I can't remember if the Bass has a serial number, I'll have to go and check my list of guitars and numbers..if I can find it:-k Pretty sure I have them all on a file on my PC somewhere but it may take some time to find it..probably quicker than digging through all the cases though

2001 would be possible. The serial number would be (letter)01xxxxxx in that case.

cheers. any idea when they stopped making them? Just found a photo of the back of my bass but can't quite make out the serial number on the plate...I'll check it out later and post again. Many thanks for your help and knowledge.

Snazzy looking Bird, Vordermann. Even without the neck through like the Gibsons, I think they are one of the nicest guitars that Epiphone ever priduced. The combination of the mini-hums and the reverse headstock (making the bass strings the longest) give it a really unique sound.

Here's a couple of pics of mine (2005 Un Sung, Korea) in the Brown/Burst variety ... you enjoy yours!

Jim

SANY0040.jpg

SANY0041.jpg

Thanks to the bumped thread on serial numbers....

The Thunderbird is

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Samick Plant, Korea

June 1997

Production Number: 0049

And the Firebird is

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Unsung Plant, Korea

August 2001

Production Number: 1257

I'm beginning to like the Firebird, the styling has grown on me, and it looks as though it'd be a comfortable and fun guitar to play. I love how it looks with the Vibrola trem too. I might consider buying one someday if I could find a nice used one in a good colour.

Anyone got some sound clips? I'm interested to see how it compares with an LP or SG.

The best part about the Firechicken is that they got the pickups right. They blew it on the Riviera, the Sheraton and most especially the Wilshire, though. I can kind of understand that they may have been worried that people might be less interested in the Riv and the Sheri without full-sized HBs, but without the mini-hums the Wilshire is just a very ugly G-400.

That second clip is pretty sweet. I like the 3 pickup configuration, too bad they've discontinued those models now. Actually my local guitar shop has some Firebird V Limited Edition models listed on their website, which have the 3 minibucker configuration I think. But at $1400NZ I won't be getting one any time soon!

NOt really contributing anything here, just gonna bump this thread with some drool worthy pictures. Makes me really want one now! Yes I realise the first two are Gibsons!

Blue Mist

BlueMistFirebird.jpg

Burst

SunburstFirebird.jpg

And my personal favourite, the Epiphone Firebird in RED with gold hardware, nice!

FirebirdRed.jpg

'Scuze the rather large pics.

Archived