Gibson Brands Forums

Emperor II Joe Pass pickguard: hot or not?

Diorama

I recently bought an Emperor II Joe Pass, and love everything about it except the silly, cartoonish Joe Pass signature on the pickguard. I find it amateurish (looks a bit like white-out/corrective fluid), obnoxious, and intrusive, and it really cheapens the look of the whole instrument.

So I have removed mine, and really prefer the look of the whole thing. It also removed the intermittent buzz I was getting from the pickguard when playing the lower couple of strings.

So what do you think, is it best to leave the pickguard on, or take it off? Any other joe pass owners here?

For comparison, two pics i found online:

Before: (in this picture the signature seems quite understated and subtle, but I find it more garish in person.)

499418jpg.jpg

After:

UEepiPass.jpg

I vote, as always, for removal. Besides the fact that Epiphone pickguards are cheap, curl-prone and ugly, the guitars themselves are attractive and look less lop-sided without them. Of course, I don't rest my pinky on the pickguard, so they perform no function when I play a guitar.

My own Sheraton II (now traded off, once I got a 335):

EpiphoneSheratonIImod.jpg?t=1244148101

Sharp eyes will note the gold speed knobs and the creme pickup rings, but perhaps not the Seymour Duncans.

I agree that signature makes the guitar look cheap. Maybe a custom replacement guard at some point, but it looks better naked than wearing that polyester suit. I guess Epi thought so too when they designed the Genesis (see avatar at left). Either that or they were just being cheap.

Thanks for the replies' date=' I think I made the right choice.

lpdeluxe, I notice you left the picguard mounting screws attatched to the guitar, is this recommended?[/quote']

It sure beats having that "BB" hole in your guitar!

I'm in the other camp ... I like pickguards for their purpose as well as for what they add to a guitar visually. I'd say look around for an "unsigned" replacement ... but it's your fiddle!

Jim

Just for the record, you can easily remove the 'Joe Pass' signature from your pickguard using a rag or paper towel dipped in auto brake fluid. The brake fluid will not affect the pickguard material in any way.

Thanks for the replies' date=' I think I made the right choice.

lpdeluxe, I notice you left the picguard mounting screws attatched to the guitar, is this recommended?[/quote']

I figured the screw head would be less obtrusive than the bare hole. Eventually (one I traded it) the new owner put the pickguard back on...and he didn't have to look very far for the mounting screws.

My 335 still has its pickguard: it's better looking than the one on the Sheraton.

GibsonES-335-1.jpg?t=1244207015

Archived