Gibson Brands Forums

experimentations on my epiphone

brogh

Nope, from a person, i've bought it directly from him, but as i've said

He gave me the stickers on the pickups, on the back there is a little white adhesive which tells

100 % inspected & Set-Up in the USA by

and on the side the epiphone logo

and another one black with stamped

handcrafted in china

have they fooled me ?

the neck seems to be a 2 or 3 wood piece

the fake epi i had had stamped pickups. they were microphonic and had ceramic magnets not alnico. there was no wax in the pups unlike my g400. (alnicos are silver, ceramic are dark going on to a black colour.) it had a very strong glue/ paint smell. the knobs were at all angles. it was dead heavy too. gibbo identified it from my photos.

oh... i had pickup stickers too.

there stamped on the backplate ( in the metal i mean, not a sticker )

epiphone :D

Should i go happy ? or should i get in the car an go to smash the guitar on the head of the prvious owner ? :D

but i think that at this point i can say it's an epiphone

Cheers

Brogh

if gibbo say it's ok, it's ok. they are the authority. i had to go to the trouble of getting a letter which they don't ususally do for ebay to accept it as fake. take some pics of the headstock back and front, the body back and front, the control cavity and under the first pickup. you will see how the neck is set. send them the pics via email... i think that should tell all! although the guys here also could speculate. and if it's duff your mate might be happy that gibbo say so.

If you can live with it than that's fine...I wouldn't be able to...there are way too many signs that point to fake for me...its like knowing your girl cheated on you but not saying anything and just living with....ur only cheatin urself....unless of course this guy made this guitar....and he's trying to get input on the slab of wood with strings that he so proudly made...sorry for sounding so harsh but after owning a fake and being introduced the whole world of fake guitars i just get disgusted and paranoid when i see these threads get posted...

Low E grover is also misaligned looking at both front and back of headstock.

Maybe another back door unsaleable second?

Where did the guy who sold it to you get it from? If you can trace it back to an authorised Epi dealer with a valid receipt then that would clear things up. If the seller bought it from one of the eBay Chinese importers then the back door second option is distinctly possible, although if the body shape is really out as indicated in your very first pics. this is more worrying. I hope it's the lens on your cameraphone that's distorting the body shape.

Hey Guys :D

So yesterday i've made some new pics which i will upload later, a complete photoshoot with all the details.

In any case as i've said in the first post, i like how this guitar sounds unplugged, like the keyboard the frets, and i feel home, so i will certainly keep this guitar because i like it :D I think i will send an email to gibson to get the point if it's true or fake.

Getting back to the pickup swap i put em in and now i go to finish my wiring :D

Cheers

And thank for the advices.

Brogh

So here we go :D

First of all, the pickups i've bought have completely changed the voice of my guitar now i still have to get in habit with these new sound but they are INCOMPARABLE with the ones i had before.

So i'm really happy and actually i have a really nice guitar, i was not sure about the pick up swap, if someone is not sure going to a pickup upgrade, for me it has worked out, and standing on what my ears hear in a really nice way.

I will try if i got the time to upload some samples with the various configurations, maybe i didn't mention but as i was in a upgrade way i've changed also all the cabling and he pots.

Cables are mid/hig quality audio shielded cable with 3 meters of cable i've done everything and i still have 1 meter if i need it cost 2 euro.

The pots are all push pull and i've set up the famous / infamous =D> jimmy page wiring, it's amazing i usually like to play a lot with volume and tone buttons so going with this setup allows me to play a lot more without leaving the hands from the guitar with the same amp preset you have really a lot of combinations possible and any of those are great !.

For who doesn't know aout the jimmi page wiring i found a video of it

In the end

Was the money spent on this guitar a good value ?

I must say ABSOLUTELY YESSSS :D

# # # # # # # # # # # #

About the fake or not epiphone i' would prefeer keeping this thread on topic and not going that off about it. I' know that the title is "experimenting on my epiphone" ( and actually i'm not sure it is ) but i thought it was until you guys pointed me out in many ways.

I will send the pictures to ginbson in any case to understand if it a fake or not .

For who's interested I've uploaded for who's interested a picasa webalbum you can find it here

gallery

22 pictures with many details give a look and tell me what you think about it, i think i will opena a seprate thread eventually.

Thanks to all for the comments and the suggestions

Cheers

Brogh

Well it's certainly a very nice looking instrument Brogh and the guitar looks properly proportioned to me. In my opinion, it was made in the Chinese Epi factory. I no longer think that pots that are not in line with the neck are an indication of a fake, just an indication of off centre routing/drilling. I don't think the Chinese quality control is at the same level as it may have been in Korea.

Anyway, you've got it sounding sweet now. Does it play nice?

Alan

the pics needed to be straight on not arty. a face on pic of the body (front and back) headstock (front and back) the cavitity pics are ok and that neck joint i can't see anything but black in the first pickup cavity... i'm no expert on fakes but gibbo need to be able to see these things properly. then you will able to rest your mind on it.

Hello guys

So at this point The guitar is a fake i got my email from gibson about it, so i've called the guy that sold it to me just to tell him that he sold me a fake, he proposed to get it back and give me the money, strangely honest i would say ( imho i think he knows that it was a fake ).

So i've swapped out pickups and pots and reassembled it with the original parts.

Tommorow i'll give it back, and if i get the chanche i go to see another epiphone custom, which seems to be a real one.

Can some one of you point me out to what to look for fore spotting fakes ? i don't want another one .... and the money i have to invest is the money that i get back, a new one is actually unaffordable.

@alan

Anyway, you've got it sounding sweet now. Does it play nice?

Yes she does but it's a fake #-o

Any hint will be highly appreciated :D

Thanks guys i Owe you a beer

:D

Cheers

Brogh

Depends completely on what you do know about pots, grounding and the sound you want to realize...I just went through a lot to bring my Joe Pass up to snuff...and the sound is incredable...little brite, but unreal...great crunch like a Gretch actually...but I learned one thing: Get the wireing harness complete.....I have over 60$ of wasted parts untill I got a comple harness...I don't care what anyone on this board says, they are all wired differntly and you can wire them in so many ways.....but the ground loop is the one thing no one talks about..so I don't know why they even call this an "Electonic forum" more like lets talk about what we have....

Sound will change with pot size (300-500 or any combination) you have A and B pots and must match them properly, but if you want to blend more, then you go backwords...capacitors alter sound, then there are resistors for termble bleed off....remember, any change affects ground ....make sure you have a 'trail' and not a loop anywhere...some schematics on line are NOT CORRECT and you will get a buzz....

The push pull will give you the one option with is nice, you can go from a nice blues/jazz sound to a rock/quack sound with the 500 engaged fully....

I installed 59 SD neck and 57 Gibson bridge and changed out the bridge to a tone-o-matic and it's killer-and interenal mods to tone....the cleaness of the pickups is the most significent change as well as tone....you will have to play better with better pickups...don't forget that....its that clear and clean....but good idea..just hope you have the patience.....overall, if I could afford a Gibson, then I'd get one....if it's not your hobby and you can't get money back out of it I wouldn't waste my time other than changing out the pickups.....If you can afford to pay someone do that....just my experence and opinion..do what you want, it's your ax...

Hello guys

Will you really give this seller a second chance???

I never trust him again!

No, i will give him the guitar back and he gives me back the money, then i will go to a SHOP where i found a used one in sunburst.

Btw i've found out that for less than 100 bucks more i can buy a new one, so iw think i will go for the new one .....

We have a gibson boutique in town ( Rome ), where they also sell epiphones, so i will definitively go to give a look to them tomorrow morning, and maybe i get a new one if it fit's my ( poor ) saving s =D>

epipedro what's the meaning of these point ?

Cheers

Brogh

Archived