Gibson Brands Forums

New Retail Site For Epiphone

abbeyroadman

Hi -

Recently I was shopping at a local Best Buy for printer ink cartridges and noticed a large sign in the back of the store "Musical Instruments" which drew on my curiosity. I was stunned to see a large room, with an enormous wall filled with electric guitars, including Epiphone and Gibson, as well as the other popular brands. Then I saw a small inner room for acoustic guitars where I discovered numerous Epiphone models (including a 12-string), perhaps all models except Masterbilts, and the McCartney Texan and Lennon EJ160-E. There were Gibsons on display, two different models priced at about $2700 each, and another, a small body, made in Canada (very nice, btw). Also on display were guitars from Martin, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender, Washburn and Ovation. I visited two other Best Buy stores in the area and saw the same department exactly replicated.

Well, I did sit and play guitars at all three location, and can say that most, if not all, were out of tune and in need of significant set-up, even the pricey Gibson's and Taylor's And, not once was I approached by a sales rep., in fact, there were no other customers in the acoustic rooms. I'm not sure how I feel about the new retail outlets, buying a guitar were I shop for ink cartridges, electrical cables or kitchen appliances and vacuum cleaners. Doesn't seem quite right. I fear the local music store(s) will eventually suffer the same fate as local photography stores who have all but disappeared from the landscape.

I personally have purchased my guitars from "traditional" music stores, with employees that help you, and can play a bit as well. But then I remembered where my parents bought my first guitar, a Silvertone Amp-In-A-Case, from Sears & Roebuck, 1964 (which I still have). Maybe there's a bit of truth in that "what goes around , comes around".

Regards,

Hi -

I'm not sure how I feel about the new retail outlets' date=' buying a guitar were I shop for ink cartridges, electrical cables or kitchen appliances and vacuum cleaners. Doesn't seem quite right. [/quote']

Maybe one day the big chain grocery stores will have guitar rooms, too. O:)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's pretty cool that you still have your first guitar from back then.

I got my first guitar back around 1963 or 1964, too. A Stella acoustic.

A year or two later it was a Fender Champ amp and some crazy electric guitar. I don't recall the brand but it had like 4 pickups and all these knobs and buttons and switches. Maybe it was from Montgomery Ward.

They're long, long gone.

The local Best Buy with a musical instruments section has more Epiphones than any of the other locally owned music stores I have visited. Off the top of my head I have not seen the Epi acoustic 12 string, Hummingbird, and A/E's anywhere else. I like Best Buy since the employees don't work on commission and actually prefer not to have a salesperson "helping" me unless I ask for it. The amount of "help" seems to vary in the other music stores including GC. I wonder if the advertised new guitar prices are generally determined by the guitar companies? If so I can't save on the price there. I bought the Epi LP Special beginners pack there 6 months ago but did have to tune it and later change strings and adjust the bridge myself. I am glad I learned how.

They announced this a few months ago. My local BB, while they have guit tars, they are limited to Maestro and Fender's cheapest line. I asked a clerk whether they'd be getting any Gibsons... He said, not this store. I had to go to a bigger store in the 'Big City'. I haven't made the trek yet. I hate big cities.

I think most Gibson/Dealer contracts severely restrict what the dealer can list, price wise, on their websites.

Wish there was some way to find out what stores carry the larger quantity of guit tars. Best Buy? You listening?

My first post wasn't intended to criticize BB, or even plug GC. Just to lament a bit about the pending passing of local musical instrument stores.

I live in a large metropolitan area that has maybe 8-10 large BB's in a reasonable driving distance, and about 6 GC's. The GC's are hit/miss with customer service; mostly no one seems readily available when I am in need of some help. But that's not a big issue. When I have worked with a sales rep. he/she has been knowledgeable about their product lines. BB just amazed me to suddenly see all those Epiphone's (and Gibson's) on display. I guess it will only be a matter of time before the Masterbilts and other models make their way there, too. After all, Taylor and Martin have a presence, perhaps more models, too in the future.

I'm not sure if any special pricing will be available at BB, but maybe we can use reward points toward that next guitar purchase!!!!

Regards,

We have Best Buy stores here too but I don't think I have ever been in one.

As for Epi 12 strings, there was one at my local music shop and it wasn't too bad for only $225 CDN.

I knew I should have put a downpayment on it and put it on layaway...it was gone the next time I went to the shop like a week later.

Hi -

I purchased my Masterbilt from a small music store, part of a regional chain, yes, but small in scale compared to the big retailers. The store sells mainly band and orchestra instruments, sheet music and offers lessons for every instrument imaginable. And they carry a limited line of Epiphone acoustic and electric models, some Yamaha and Takamine guitars as well. Just walking inside you immediately hear a harmony of musical sounds, not blaring music, just musicians of all types playing a bit. I think that's great.

When I decided to purchase my guitar, the sales rep. offered to bring out from inventory as many guitars of the model that I wanted - which turned out to be 8. Fresh and sealed in their shipping boxes, he opened each so that I could inspect and play, one at a time. But that's the personality of that store, not just the sales rep. I'm not sure the big retailers can/will offer that type of customer service or interest. In fairness to GC, I bought a Martin from one of their locations, after visiting several, mainly because the sales rep. seemed to have an interest in what I was purchasing. At one location, the employee simply pointed to the "wall of guitars" without looking at me when I inquired about a specific guitar. Anyone else have an interesting purchasing experience??

Regards,

Guest icantbuyafender

Ive been in GC in different cities to realize that no matter what they really seem to stick to hiring dirtbags.

Obnoxious little buggers.

We have a Hastings book store in the small town where I live. They sell cheap' date=' low end guitars. Cant remember the brand.

And of course Walmart has their awesome "First Act" [b']guitar shaped objects[/b]!

heh, heh... G.S.O.s... I'm gonna use that. ;)

Interesting thing is.... Gibson and Walmart announced, a few years ago, the same kind of arrangement. Too bad the Walmart thing didn't come to fruition. Then again... maybe it's a good thing. I've heard some vendors who get into bed with BuyNLarge of Bentonville, wake up with fleas and an empty wallet.

Glad to see the BB thing has come to fruition. Sorry to see the independent guit tar shops taking it on the nose, but I'm afraid it's a sign of the times.

I live in a small city of about 200K people (although the 2nd largest in Oregon). We have no big chain music stores...I can't believe GC hasn't built a store here yet. The Best Buy here doesn't have the music section.

Archived