Gibson Brands Forums

Tuners For Dot Studio

dwass

Black Grovers would seem to be the solution:

blacksperzelroto.jpg

I'm not sure of the shaft size of the stock tuners used on Dot Studios, but a skilled luthier / guitar repairer can re-bore the holes in your headstock to fit the Grovers.

See: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PMMH030/

As you may be aware, Grovers are superb tuners...which is why they appear on so many Epiphones.

BTW: What are the stock tuners on a Dot Studio these days? I thought Epi stuck Grovers on them??

BTW: What are the stock tuners on a Dot Studio these days? I thought Epi stuck Grovers on them??

They're Grover knockoffs as far as I can tell. They may even be made in the same plant. Actually not that bad for cheap tuners, mine don't slip...

The stock Grovers on my G-400SG are fantastic. The 18:1 ratio is great, allows very fine and accurate tuning, they don't slip, never go out of tune, feel great, and look great too. They may not strictly be Grovers, but an Epiphone reproduction version of them, but they sure work great! The only way I would change them is if somebody starts making a vintage Kluson Style tuner with an 18:1 or better ratio.

Full Size Grovers of any type will fit.

I have them on my dot studio and my lp studio and on my sheraton.

they have two styles of locking tuners.. the old ones with taller pegs.. and the new ones with shorter pegs and a knob on the back.

I think the two work exactly the same except one you have to turn a knob and they cost more.

You can get 18:1 or the usual 14:1. I use 14:1 and I'm happy with them completely.

If they say grover, they are grover.

I've only changed for color or button style, but I've never seen any difference in quality or performance.

TWANG

Firstly, why do you want to change the tuners?

An experienced Luthier told me that (despite demands) it's rarely the machineheads that cause tuning problems. And usually the problems are caused by the nut.

Archived