Gibson Brands Forums

LP Ultra II Pot Swap

vonasemj

Has anybody swapped pots on their Ultra II. I would like to change mine, but when I pulled off the cover, it appears they factory ones are soldered to a shadow circuit board. This looks a lot different than any other LP.

I thought the same thing about my Ultra 2.

I took a look in the knob opening and saw the circuit board and thought a little different.

Still tossing it around in my mind as to how to go about re-wiring, without losing any of the functions.

Any experiences, or suggestions out there?

I think that the pots could be swapped, but you might lose one of the functions.

As the guitar is now, you can plug into one, or both of the output jacks.

If you do that, the Nanomag outputs through the Nano jack, and the other pickups output through the other.

You could wire the Nano direct to the volume, and then to the jack.

The regular pickups could be done as normal.

If you do that, you would lose the ability to play all 3 or combinations through the one output jack that says "All".

You would still be able to mix them through an A-B, A+B switch.

I'm just musing.....

Has anybody swapped pots on their Ultra II. I would like to change mine' date=' but when I pulled off the cover, it appears they factory ones are soldered to a shadow circuit board. This looks a lot different than any other LP.[/quote']

I think that the pots could be swapped' date=' but you might lose one of the functions.

As the guitar is now, you can plug into one, or both of the output jacks.

If you do that, the Nanomag outputs through the Nano jack, and the other pickups output through the other.

You could wire the Nano direct to the volume, and then to the jack.

The regular pickups could be done as normal.

If you do that, you would lose the ability to play all 3 or combinations through the one output jack that says "All".

You would still be able to mix them through an A-B, A+B switch.

I'm just musing.....[/quote']

What is so important about changing the pots??? You do realize that you are dealing with a highly sophisticated electronic circuit??? The Shadow NanoMag is a low impedance pickup, that circuit board is the preamp for the NanoMag, plus it the controller that enables you to combine the low impedance pickup with the standard humbuckers. You don't want to be playing around with that circuit board unless you know how it works.

I thought the same thing about my Ultra 2.

I took a look in the knob opening and saw the circuit board and thought a little different.

+10

When I looked in the pots cavity of mine (for curiosity sake) I knew any thoughts of tweaking the electronics was out of the question for me.

Archived