Gibson Brands Forums

GENESIS FOR SALE ON EVIL BAY

brianh

Some folks have asked about late 70's early 80's Epi Genesis guitars. Here are two for sale:

This one is a black Deluxe model with non-original PUPs, modded electronics, added pickguard (originals had none) and some damage near the neck vol control. No case, bummer.

genimodded.jpg

If it was all original and undamaged, probably worth around $600. In current condition, maybe $300. I'd take it off the guy's hands for $200, could be restored or hotrodded.

This one is a nice sunburst Custom (middle-line) model, all original with case (not sure if it's original), but with some neck nicks:

GeniCustomsunburst.jpg

This is not the same model as the Deluxes in my avatar. Probably worth $400 tops, but may go for $300 or less. I wouldn't mind having this one in my collection, but I'm not bidding - I already have four of them. Nice guitars, set neck, solid mahogany body, rosewood fretboard, DiMarzios, coil tap, sustain like you read about. Built between '79 and '81 in Japan/Matsumoko or Taiwan.

Go for it!

I just can't bring myself to like these. Sorry brian. I liked the pics of yours in that thread but they just look so small and unfinished, or damaged or rejected by the brian may household! As a player i have no doubt they're awesome but i would have to wear a very dark pair of sunglasses in a dark room to play one of those in public.

But then I never used to like Les Pauls or SGs, only recently have I warmed to them. Horses for Courses etc...

Yeah, they're an aquired taste no doubt. I feel the same way about Wiltshires. However, if you find one for cheap in original condition you should try it out. They are incredibly well made and have a suprising variety of tone / PUP combinations. And they're actually far more attractive in person (heavy though). Those who use them swear by them, check the reviews on Harmony Central. As for the mooks trying to get LP prices for them on eBay, good luck. Their ugly duckling looks dissuade most collectors. No problem, better for me!

Yeah absolutely. There's no accounting for taste. I would love to try one out though so if I ever see one I'll give it a bash. It looks very 80s to me. My least favourite era of guitar innovation (despite all the nice vintage looking guitars made by Matsumoku, Ibanez etc)

Almost looks like a dwarfed junior/special. Short and chunky. What would you compare it to soundwise? Les Paul? Looks too heavy to be like an SG but too small to be like a Les Paul. I think the control placements look very sloppy too. I'm starting to find myself being fascinated by them all of a sudden.... stop it!! haha

What would you compare it to soundwise? Les Paul? Looks too heavy to be like an SG but too small to be like a Les Paul. I think the control placements look very sloppy too. I'm starting to find myself being fascinated by them all of a sudden.... stop it!! haha

It was definitely designed as a budget Les Paul, at a time when Gibson wasn't allowing Epi to make LP copies. The solid, carved-top mahogany body and all the fancy binding is the giveaway as to which model they were trying to emulatate. I assume the strategy back then was to battle the tide of Asian copies off by keeping all LPs US-made. But I think the pressure from imports got to be too much and they finally decided to use Epi to make LP and other Gibby copies to maintain a share of that "down market" business. (I you can't beat 'em, join 'em.)

In any case, they do sound like Les Pauls, but with more tonal varietly thanks to the coil tap switch which was rather inelegantly done with a mini toggle. Nowadays, I expect they would use a push-pull pot. The Deluxes I've found seemed to have been bought as a beginner's axe that went into the closet for 30 years. The Standards and Customs tend to be player's backup guitars, hence the wide range of conditions - from abused to mint.

Regardless of condition, they tend to hold up well - I've yet to see an unplayble one, and the original parts were either US LP (bridge, tailpiece, switches) or first-rate knockoffs as good or better than those found on current Epi products.

Clarkuss, here's a Geni that might float your boat:

0b68_3.jpg

I had been looking at this one on Fleabay a few months ago, but the guy didn't meet his reserve, so I think he still has it. I think he wanted $700, more than I was willing to spend at the time. As you can see, he's added a Bigsby, changed the DiMarzios to HBs, moved the PUP switch to the jack hole, and moved the jack to body edge. Also new knobs and a pickguard. It's a nicely done conversion, makes it look more like an LP, which begs the question, "why not just buy a Lester?" Wanted something different I guess.

Archived