Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone LP Junior help needed.

Dugg

I have a guy at work trying to sell me a Epiphone Les Paul Junior Doublecut in TV yellow with a single pickup in the bridge, it is very good condition. I know the serial number is k6XXXXXX. I have been searching this forum for information but I am still unclear of whether it is a good buy or not. What would be a fair price for this and are there any quirks or anything about this model I should steer clear from? Thanks for any help in advance.

Welcome to the forum!! Les Paul Junior in TV Yellow? Classic!

A few things to consider:

- Is it a set neck or a bolt on? If it's a bolt on it is worth considerably less because they're more common and don't have the set neck that is more desirable and in my opinion gives a beefier tone and better sustain but this can always be enhanced by good electronics. The Special is a great cheap versatile guitar and there are more finish options

- Think about what you want it for. What sound, what look etc. I personally find it hard to love a guitar if I don't like the look but there are plenty of guitars I have drooled over only to be disappointed when I finally got it in my hands. So think about what it is you like especially: double cutaway, single pickup vs dual pickups, humbucker vs single coil, Yellow finish vs Black, Sunburst, White etc

- Is the pick up a P-90 or a P-100. You can get bolt-on juniors with a humbucker really cheap so if it's a p-100 it comes down to aesthetics of the double cutaway/finish/pickup cover. Also the single cut 57 reissues had P-100s too and set necks so the price is probably comparable.

- If the price range is $300-500 you're not far off a modern Gibson Melody Maker (various shapes and pick up options) or a Gibson Les Paul Faded with soapbars - lovely guitars.

Link to Gibson Faded TV Yellow

Link to Gibson Melody Maker TV Yellow

It would be easy to install a pickguard on that ^^ I'd personally go for tortoise shell or good ol' black

If it is a set neck with a P-90 then I think it's about as good as you're going to get when it comes to Epiphone Juniors with one pickup. I would pay as much for one of these (if not more) than one of the Chinese 57 reissues. I had one of the '57 issues and didn't really like it. Obviously if you can try the guitar out first all the better but check out your options and your budget and assess how much you think it's worth.

Some more info and/or some pics and I'm sure plenty of the members on here will help advise you on what they'd pay. have paid or have seen priced etc.

Thanks for the info. I know it is a bolt on neck, TV yellow with small black pickguard and p90 with two controls i think. I was told that $75 is the lowest he will go, but did not know if that was a good deal or not.

Yes that's a very good deal! Plus if you don't like it, you'll easily be able to sell it for what you paid if not more by listing it on ebay or craiglist. Bolt-on isn't necessarily a bad thing and at that price I'd definitely give it a shot.

Thanks again for the advice and quick replies. I was worried, because my buddy's wife bought him an Epi Les Paul from a pawn shop, turns out it was only worth about half of what she paid for it, just didn't want to end up in the same boat. But you guys are right, even at 75, it's a playable Epiphone and it looks great. I couldn't pick up a used squire anywhere around here for that price. I will be playing it this week, and hopefully will be posting pics of my newest guitar purchase soon. I got the serial number from him to try to figure out year and where it was made. K6XXXXXX should be a 1996 model made in Korea, correct?

Archived