Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson truss cover on standard (Korean) Epiphone L.P.

matiac

I had a leftover trusscover from my SG I sold, and stuck it on my most beloved, and trusted Blue Bomber, with a faux screw on the bottom by the nut, snugged 'er down, and it looks pretty good. Of course it says "SG" on it, and I had a guy say it was a weird looking SG. I think I'm gonna get a blank one and stick that on there,or maybe have techy scroll "Matiac" on it. If i need to tweak the neck, all I have to do is loosen the screw a little bit, and turn it up away from the cavity, and don't even have to take it off. If I can get my damn camera operational, I'll snap a picture for your viewing pleasure. The picture below has the stock cover turned around to the white side.

Well, yes and no...after all, the SG was supposed to replace the Les Paul, much to Les' chagrin...i.e., he din' like it. Why, even today, SG Customs STILL say "Les Paul" between the neck 'n the neck pickup, so, it would seem logical that it would be kosher to install a Gibson cover, even if for just schiggles (for the heck of it), and decided it looked pretty good. Anyway, it's just a "prototype" to see if I would either get a "Classic", or just a blank Gibson cover, so don't "fret" SG fans! It's only for a while.

I believe (and I could be wrong) the Epiphone pickups in the Classic (no longer made) are loosely based on Gibson's 496/500 combo found in the Gibson Les Paul (Classic). The Gibson pickups have ceramic magnets, I'm not sure what the Epis are. I replaced the stock pickups in mine a while ago with a set of older Gibson "t-top" pickups, and the difference from stock is quite noticable. The stock neck pickup was right on the money for tone, the neck was way too hot, so I swapped 'em both.

Archived